Kabanata 10

Kabanata 10: Selfish

Tahimik lang kaming dalawa. Nakadungaw ako sa labas at tanaw na tanaw ko ang maliwanag na buwan. Malamig ang simoy ng hangin na nagdadala ng ginhawa kahit papaano.

"You define your own life. Don’t let other people write your script." I break the long silence by saying a quote. Napalingon naman siya sa akin bago muling itinuon ang atensyon sa pagmamaneho. "Oprah Winsfrey," I added.

"Am I a bad author for letting someone write my own story?" Sadness glimpsed on her monotonous voice. "This is the story I never wanted to continue. I may be the protagonist in my own, we can not hide the fact that there are stories that have a controlling supporting character."

I nodded my head. "Let's not also hide the fact that we're going through some phases before getting to our final destination, our own ending. We might experience some scenarios that we really don't like, let's not stuck ourself on that. We have a goal. We need to move forward. We need to step."

"Kyrie," napalingon ako nang tawagin niya ang pangalan ko. "I don't know what's worse, being controlled by someone or being caged?" She let out a deep sigh.

Pagkahinto ng sasakyan ay agad siyang lumabas. Tahimik lang din akong bumaba. Nakita ko siyang may kinuha sa may backseat. She opened the tail gate of the car. I glued my eyes on her. May nilatag siyang blanket sa likod ng sasakyan. She's using her Modified Toyota Hilux.

She prepared some things. Inayos niya ang automatic LED strip lights na nagpaliwanag sa paligid. Tinulungan ko siya nang tawagin niya ako para magbuhat. She opened the ice cooler and grabbed a wine.

"You will drink?" I asked.

"We will," she answered and gave me a glass. Umupo na siya sa may likod ng sasakyan at nagsimula nang uminom. "Kyrie, sit beside me." She commanded.

Tumabi na ako sa kaniya. She pour me a drink. "Does this drink make you forget what you're suffering right now?" I questioned before taking a sip. I make a face when the wine's natural acid stream down to my throat.

I heard her chuckled. "Not use to drinking wine?"

"I'm not drinking beverages with alcohol content." Sabi ko.

She nodded her head. "Papa banned me from drinking liquors and smoking. He said, it's for my own too. But, to answer your question, no." She imbibed. She held her glass up and say, "this drink make me realize what's happening to me. It teaches me how to live with the pain and deal with it."

"Being controlled is being caged. You can not taste your own freedom, when you are controlled by someone. You can not also express your thoughts and feelings, when you're being caged." I bitterly laugh and have a drink. "But, the worst is," I looked at her, "letting yourself suffer on that situation for a long time."

She take her phone out. "Let's take a pic?" She asked.

"Is it part of your freedom?"

She smiled and move closer to mine. "Collection," she moved her phone upward. She smiled sweetly. She showed her teeth in the best way ever. Her smile is full of hope, making her soul invulnerable.

She showed me the pic afterwards. I never knew that she pressed the button while I was staring at her. It looks like, I'm so amazed with her features, hypnotized.

Well, she's always fine.

"Gonna tell my kids that you were their other mommy that left us because you never love us." She playfully said and laughed. "Am I too beautiful to handle? Ano? In love ka na ba sa akin?" She arched her brows continuously while smirking at me.