10

Arlo POV

My hand ran through the soft locks of my son. My youngest baby and he was aggravated enough to feed on someone. I knew when Tommy was pregnant the vampire gene would be more dominant, I couldn't deny it. We both knew, Tommy and I that it would be difficult for Karter. No one knows what it's like to be both wolf and vampire other than him. I've never known someone to be like him, so we just had to wing it.

For his first hunt when his fangs came through, Tommy took care of that. They caught a couple rabbits and a few deer, it was enough until Karter needed to feed again then he had a blood bag, then there was the occasion he'd feed from me, kolby or Elias. The worry I have for my son is more than I can explain, I worry for all my children, but I worry for Karter more because no one knows what he's like. Without Nova by his side he's unpredictable.

There have been nights where I've spoken to Tommy saying that she'd be his mate, not doubt about it. The way they look at each other, Nova may not understand fully but as they near eighteen I can see the love they hold for each other, not in a friendship way either. Karter may not know it, but we all see it. Theo sees it, cara, Rick, Eli and Ryan, even Thomas and Xander see it and they live away. When they found their mates they moved to their pack as it needed strong warriors like them, so they agreed to go. Theo even transferred some of our warriors to the pack who then later found their mates so it was a win win for everyone.

But even they see what love the two have for each other. It really wouldn't be a surprise if Karter and Nova are mates when it comes to their birthday. They have such a beautiful connection and the way he pulls her in close or simple holds her because she wants him to, it warms my heart seeing him so happy.

A kiss came upon my cheek, I turned my head to see Tommy. I gave him a small smile before looking at our son.

"He looks like you when you sleep." Tommy whispered.

"He doesn't look like me at all, he's all you." I looked at him again.

"I beg to differ." He smiled. "Mika said she'd bring Nova here when schools finished. I know he's gonna want her close to him."

"Not today. He's going to be angry with himself and not want to see anyone. I know him, and Karter won't even want us in a room with him. Especially me." I told him, my eyes going back to my son with my hand carrying on running through his hair.

"I know. Lunch is downstairs if you're hungry." Tommy kissed my head before leaving. I sighed but kept by Karters side until he woke up. Then I'd leave if he wanted me to.

A couple hours later, Karter woke up. When he looked at me, I gave him a smile, but he turned away from me.

"Are you hungry? I could make you something or get you a blood bag. Maybe both if you're feeling peckish." I said.

"No." Was all he said.

"Don't shut me out Karter. Please just tell me what you want? A blood bag or food?" I asked.

"I want you to leave me alone. Get the fuck out." He growled.

"I'm trying to help Karter. Just tell me so I can make you feel better."

"I don't want anything. Just go away." He growled away, this time deeper.

"You want nova? I'll get her. I'll make you both dinner and you can talk. Then when she goes you can tell me what happened today." I said. "Then you can stay the night and hang out with-."

"Stop it." Karter sat up. His fangs on show as he glared at me. "Just shut up and get the fuck out. I don't want your food, I don't want a blood bag I want you to leave me the fuck alone. Just get out, get the fuck out." He yelled.

"I just want to help." I whimpered with my head down.

"And I want you to leave me alone." He spat out.

"Do you really want that?" I looked at him. His eyes softened as he started back at me.

"No." Karter shook his head, tears pooling in his eyes then falling down his cheeks. "I need you to leave. I don't want to hurt you, I'd never forgive myself. Dad, please leave."

I shook my head then laid next to him. His head in my chest as he cried soaking my T-shirt. "I won't leave you when you need me. I'd never do that." I kissed his head. "And I know you'd never hurt me, never."

After a while of Karter crying as I held him, he slowed to hiccups then stopped completely. He just laid there holding on to my T-shirt tightly. Every time I tried to move to get comfortable again, Karter would make his hands tighter again so I would stop moving. Almost like if he'd let go I'd leave.

"Wanna talk about what happened today?" I asked quietly.

"I don't know." He whispered, his voice croaky from crying. "I just got so angry. He embarrassed me, then started speaking about Nova. I don't care that he made me fall, I don't care that he bullies me. Dad he said he'd fuck Nova, and it just angered me so much. And his beta said she wouldn't know the difference if all of them-." He paused.

"I know, I know." I told him so he didn't have to say it.

"Dad they said that about her and it just made Rogue angry. Then Isaiah got pissed and it went to shit. What's worse is that I could feel him fading away, I could hear his heart slowing and I didn't care... I don't care if he died. He spoke about Nova and I couldn't take it especially saying they'd fuck her."

"It's okay. They won't get their hands on her." I reassured him.

"I want to do it again. I want to feel him drain and feel him become lifeless as I feed. Dad I want to feel guilty but I don't." Karter mumbled.

"We all do things that we should feel guilty of. Everyone has done it or will do at some point in their life. I've done it, your other dad has done it, everyone. You're no different, because you're like everyone else." I stated.

"But I'm not. I'm a freak, a monster who'll kill without a second thought. I'm scared I'll hurt Nova after today."

"You won't, I know you won't. I promise. Get some rest my baby, let me know if you need anything." I said and kissed his head before moving to get up. Only Karter made his arms tighter around me, stopping me from moving.

"Please stay with me until I fall asleep." He begged. And in that moment all I saw was my little boy.

The boy who could do no wrong because he does everything to protect the ones he loves.