80

Nova POV

When the kids woke up, Karter, Alaric and I spoke to Kit about what to say to the police if asked questions. It's better to be safe than sorry just incase something adds up that it could be directed to Kit. We've reassured him none of this was his fault. This is what happens when adoptions are done anonymously and people don't know who they are adopting from.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing or that someone would straight up admit that they are a vampire. But it could've been a one night stand and the mum passed away in child birth. I know human females can't get pregnant with a vampire but it's not impossible. You know what I mean? It doesn't matter, all that does matter is that we hopefully can adopt Kit so he'll be around people like him. When he does get a thirst he can't control Alaric and Karter will be there to help.

At 11:30 there was a knock on the door. The kids were playing in the living room while Karter and Alaric kept an eye on them. I was in the kitchen cooking lunch so I left and opened the door. Two men and a woman stood there with smiles on their faces.

"Hi, we're here to speak to your partners and Kit." One man said.

"Hi of course. Come in." I smiled and let them in.

They went into the living room where Kit stopped playing, the triplets watching the new people warily while my mates stood up and shook hands with the officers and woman.

"Would you like anything to drink?" I offered them to which they declined. All three sat down when Alaric and Karter did, I sat between my mates.

"We'd like to ask Kit a few questions. Then Miss Benson would like to talk to him as well." One of the officers stated.

"Of course." I nodded. "You can go into the kitchen." I told them.

"I don't want to go." Kit frowned. "Amaris needs me."

"Amaris will be fine, Kit. Go and speak to the man, okay." Alaric said. Kit's frown deepened but he stood up and left the room with one officer following.

While Karter and Alaric spoke to the remaining officer and the woman, I blocked them out and strained my ears to listen to Kit.

"Hello Kit, I'm detective Bowen. I'm here to talk to you about your parents."

"Why?" Kit replied. "Can I have Amaris with me?"

"I'm afraid you can't. I'm going to tape our conversation is that okay?" Kit didn't answer so I assumed he nodded his head before a click was heard. "Do you remember what happened yesterday?"

"Yes. Mum and dad took me on a hike. I heard them saying I was acting weird, said that nature would do some good to me. I need to go to the toilet so my dad told me to go in a bush. Pointed me into a direction and told me to walk until I heard him say stop. I always listened to daddy, he hurt mummy."

"What else?" Detective Bowen said.

"I heard mummy scream, so I ran back." Kit sniffled. Mummy was on the floor and daddy looked at me before he fell as well." We told him to say that, but the hitting part? No, we didn't tell him to say that.

"How much did daddy hit mummy?"

"A lot. When she didn't do dinner when he wanted it. He would do it when they were in the bedroom as well. Mummy would scream but I couldn't help her. The door would be locked." Kit told him. His mum was abused? This kid has been through more than I can imagine.

"Do you know the people in the living room?"

"No, but they helped me. I like them. I like Amaris too, he cuddles me. He's a baby, really small." His vampire knows Amaris is a runt. What else does his vampire know?

"Okay. And how would you feel if you had to live with a different family? Other people to take care of you?"

"I stay with Amaris." Kit growled. "I don't want to leave here, Nova, Karter and Alaric be my parents."

"Alright. Enough questions." The detective said. Another click sounded before a rush of feet. Kit entered the living room again going straight to Amaris to play again.

"Miss Benson has a few questions for Kit regarding his time with his parents. Once they're done, she will take him to a care home where he'll be put back into the system ready to be fostered or adopted." Detective Bowen looked between me, Karter and Alaric.

"Is there any way we could adopt him? Let him stay with us until you get the paper work? You have a social worker here now, she can look around the house to see that it's suitable for Kit to stay with us. For us to adopt him." I spat out not ready to let the little boy out of my eyesight. Not when he needs us the most and the safety net of Amaris. It's clear he's taken a liking to him and vice versa.

"I'm not sure. Of course it would be a probability that you can adopt him, but keeping him here in the mean time won't work. There's a lot of paperwork to fill out, go through courts to make sure you're all suitable. Not only as people, but a home he can have his own room throughout his life, he'll be well looked after." The woman replied.

"Is there literally anything you can do so he can stay with us. He's comfortable here, he's not alone with kids he doesn't know. Children that will bully him. Please, there must be something." I begged.

"I'm sorry. We have to do this by the law, we can't just hand him off to people with signed papers. If you're fit it adopt Kit, then I will personally get all the paperwork and bring him here, but unless you're deemed unfit then he'll be put into the system until someone comes up." She sighed.

"Check the house, please look around so I know if we have a shot at this. Please." I begged almost on my knees to have this kid be around people like him. Being around humans will only increase his thirst, he won't be able to be a normal boy. He'd be feared and kill more people.

"Okay. Only quickly." She replied.