79

Alaric POV

When Karter and I got to the bodies, I pulled out my phone and called the police. They'd be able to tell us if Kit has any other family to go to. On our way here we came up with a back story to tell the police so we wouldn't be a suspect. We'd be questioned, a lot, but we wouldn't be a suspect.

We agreed that we'd tell the officers that we were on a hike, we live in the cabin and took Kit there to safety before coming back. For a long story short. They should buy it considering our family spend a lot of time at the cabin and if we were to be questioned and police came to the cabin, we'd be there. It's just a case of moving Nova and the kids to the cabin until this all blows over.

When I got off the phone with the police, Karter and I waited until investigators showed up. And as we expected, we were taken to the police station and placed in separate questioning rooms. Not my first rodeo so let's get this over with.

(A/N: I've never been investigated by the police before so I'm just going with it. Please don't come for me if I get anything wrong.)

A police officer came in and sat opposite me, a clipboard and paper in hand ready to take my statement. They had taken it earlier so this was just a questioning to make sure Karter and I got everything.

"Can I get you anything before we start? Water, coffee?" The officer asked.

"No I'm okay." I replied.

"Okay then, let's get started." He stated. "Can you talk me through what happened when you found the bodies?"

"Yes. Me and my family were on a hike. We live in a cabin in the woods, we're a polyamorous relationship so being isolated helps us be ourselves. The kids love going for hikes and since they weren't at nursery today, we agreed. Who doesn't like their kids being out in nature considering kids this generation, you know? As we were on the hike we heard crying, so being concerned me and Karter went to see what was going on. The crying sounded really distressing."

"You said in the statement there was a little boy with the couple. What happened to him?"

"Our girlfriend said we should take him to our cabin, let him get away from the bodies and give him time to process stuff before he's questioned. She took him back to the cabin with our children while me and Karter called the police."

"Okay. Did you hear any commotion? Any screams? Sounds of distress?"

"None. All we heard was the cries of the little boy. Our cabin is quite away from the crime scene and it looked like they had been dead a while. So I think whoever attacked them killed the couple before we even left the house." I told him.

"Did you see any wounds? Any indication of what could have killed the couple?"

"No. Both were on their bellies making it hard to see what could have caused the killing. So I'm not sure what weapon could have been used or what wounds were inflicted."

"These were found when forensics were taking pictures." He pushed images in front of me. "Do you know what these are?"

"No I don't. They look like pierced wounds, like a needle but I can't be sure. I've never seen holes this small."

"You know quite a lot about dead bodies, and how do you know what needle sizes look like?" He frowned.

"My dad was a doctor. He'd do my vaccinations, let me watch him do it to other patients. He'd show me forensic evidence of autopsies, dead bodies. He let me in on a lot of stuff that he really shouldn't have. But what teenager would pass up an opportunity to see what their parent does as a job. I was in a phase of wanting to do what my dad did, so he'd give me tips and stuff like that." I explained. Not a complete lie, but just not from this day and age. And he never showed me pictures, he'd let me watch the autopsy itself.

"Is there any way we can talk to your dad? I'm not saying you're lying, but just so we know you're not the killer."

"I'm sorry by my father died a couple years ago. But I can provide you with the images, some notes he kept over the years. Anything you need I can provide." Somehow. No, I'll do it.

"That won't be necessary." The officer replied. Oh thank god. "That will be all for now. We ask you to stay in case we have anymore questions."

"Okay. What about the kid? Does he have any family to go to? He's pretty shaken up."

"We've identified the couple, but it was just them. Some family issues on both sides, so they went no contact. The kid will have to go into the system."

I nodded. "Would you let him stay with my girlfriend and kids? He's been through a lot, I think it's best if he stays with kids to keep his mind off things."

"I couldn't agree more. But tomorrow we'd have to go to your house to take him with social services." I nodded and sat back against the chair.

It took a few more questions and more hours sitting in the room before I was allowed to leave. I met Karter at the front of the station. He gave me a small smile and pulled me to his chest.

"Come on. Let's get Nova and the kids to the cabin." He whispered. I nodded and we left.

It wasn't until almost midnight did we get home. Nova was sat on the sofa, her body rigid but relaxed when she saw us. Her arms going over both of our shoulders bringing us into her arms.

"What happened? It's so late?" Nova asked.

"Instead of going to the house, we decided to just go to the police. They questioned us and didn't let us go until half an hour ago." Karter told her.

"Don't freak out, okay. None of us are a suspect, and we certainly won't get put in prison for murder. But we do need to go to the cabin asap because we told the police that's where we live." I added.

"Okay. I'll get our stuff and you pack for the kids. What's going to happen to Kit?" She looked between us.

"He has no other family. Family issues from both mother and father so he has no grandparents or aunts and uncles to go to. If possible we will adopt him, we'll have to talk to the social worker tomorrow and see what we can do." I replied.

Nova nodded. "Okay. Let's get ready, the quicker we get there the quicker we can make it look like home."

"Agreed." Karter and I said at the same time. The three of us went upstairs and packed enough clothes to look like we live there, not just some holiday home.

It didn't take long to pack up. Nova had messaged the family telling them we were spending a few weeks at the cabin. It's not something out of the blue for us to do, so no one should be suspicious of something wrong. It just means once this brushes over we can explain what happened and our sudden move and the extra child we have. That's if we can adopt him that is.

Since we're at the cabin a lot, the kids already have rooms designated to them with everything they need and have at home. Until Kit stays with us permanently, we can't get him a bed because it would be useless for one night. And from what Nova has told us, Kit and Amaris are quite the snuggle buddies so when they went to bed, Nova let Kit sleep in with Amaris. So when we get to the cabin we can just lay them together.

When we got to the cabin, Nova was eager to lay the kids down and get to sleep. Unpack things and make it a little messy so it looks more like our permanent home, not just a place for a getaway. By the time we had done everything to make it look like the cabin is lived in, we all slumped into bed.

"Please promise me none of you will be blamed for this." Nova muttered.

"We promise." Karter whispered and kissed her shoulder.

"We've planned it out so it'll look like we're innocent and Kit had nothing to do with it. After a few months it'll be a closed case, no one will be able to find a murderer or murder weapon." I told her.

"I swear if either of you leave me I will kill you myself." Nova teared up.

"We know." I chuckled.

"That's why we're not going anywhere." Karter laughed.