15

Karter POV

"So how was school?" I asked Nova again.

"It's okay, but I like it better when I have you." She sighed. "I no like it when you're away."

"I don't like it either baby doll but we have to. And besides, you've only got a less than a month of school left so it's not that much of a big deal. And like I promised I'll be here to drop you off and pick you up." I smiled at her quickly before turning my eyes back to the road.

"B-but it's better with you there. I have you with me all the time." Nova whimpered a little.

"I wish there was more I could do baby, so I could be with you. But I can't and we have to accept that." I shrugged with a sigh not knowing what else to say.

"Yeah I guess." She whispered and looked out of the window. I placed my hand on my knee while rubbing my thumb, seeing as I can't hug her to give her the comfort she needs.

When we got to the ice cream shop, I parked the car and got out. Of course opening Nova's door for her and taking her hand in mine. It wasn't until I locked the door did Nova look up at me and make grabby hands at me. With a small sigh and a smile, I picked her up sitting her on my hip where she laid her head on my shoulder.

With that, I walked into the shop and waited in the queue so I could get the ice cream for us. "Do you want your usual baby doll?" I asked.

"No, I have strawberry please." Nova replied sounding upset.

"What's wrong doll? Why are you sad?" I made her look at me.

"I no sad. Just missed you." She gave me a forced smile.

"Thats not it Nova, tell me." I encouraged her to speak. There has been times where she really doesn't want to so I don't force her after a certain amount of time, but if I can get her to speak what's on her mind I do. It just makes things so much easier for us.

"Uh, um, b-but," She started and looked away.

"Doll it's just us, no one will be angry, I won't be mad. You can tell me anything." I told her.

"P-people say you bad. You hurt people for no reason." She whispered. "They say you eat people."

"Who told you that?" I asked.

"Brady did it." She replied. Anger coursed through me, making me wish I did kill him. "Karter." Nova whimpered. I didn't realise that my grip had become tight making my little doll whimper.

"Shit, Nova I'm so sorry." I hugged her close to me. "I'm sorry."

"It okay." She giggled.

"Doll." I made her look at me again. "You know I'd never hurt you right?"

"I know." She smiled.

After that, it was our turn to order so I did. "I'll have a vanilla and chocolate and a strawberry one please."

"Of course." The guy smiled. He told me the total, I gave him the money then went to sit down. It wasn't long until someone brought it over to us where we dove in to eat.

"What do you do today Karter?" Nova asked me.

"I spent time with my dads, uh, went on a run had lunch with Cara and Rick. That's about it really. Nothing much." I told her.

"Bet that was nice." She mumbled while laying her head on my shoulder.

"Was a little. Nice to see the family and all that." I said. After that, it was simply silent. The only noice around us was that of the ice cream parlour with everyone in it. Laughter and chatter between people, but with me and Nova we didn't have to speak. We could simply say hello to each other and that be the only thing we say, other than that it would be a comfortable silence.

It has never been awkward between Nova and I. We just enjoy one another's company whenever we're around each other. Nothing more, nothing less. It's just us, and I can be myself around her and she can be herself around me. Whether I show my fangs or have a blood bag, or Nova gets her period or wants to be carried, we never judge each other. That's how it's always been and I hope to goddess that's how it'll always be.

"Karter." Nova looked up at me.

"Yes baby doll." I smiled softly at her.

"I love you."

A wider smile made its way on to my face. I'll never tire of this girl telling me she loves me. She may not know it, but the things she makes me feel when she says it. Nothing beats the words that come out of this girls mouth, anything she says, silly or serious, I love every word. And most of all, I absolutely adore them three words she says to me on a daily basis. And without fail, I always reply with,

"I love you Nova." I smiled.

After a while, we got back into the car and went to her house. Of course I got looks from her brothers, Kobe especially. Only did he stop when Eli sent him a small growl as a warning.

"Hey my baby girl. How was your day?" Eli pulled her into his embrace.

"Not good." Nova sighed. "Karter no there anymore and I have wait for long time until I see him again. But he take me for ice cream so it make it all better." She smiles at the end.

"That's good princess." Ryan chuckled. "How about you go and get pyjamas on and we'll watch a film. It's Friday so you know we can watch anything and eat anything."

"B-but I stay with Karter. Papa say I stay with him when I have no school." She whimpered a little.

"Baby doll you can stay tomorrow night. And I'll make your favourite food, and we can do whatever you like. How does that sound?" I suggested.

"Face mask?" She looked at me with sad eyes.

"If that's what you want to do. I'll go get the stuff tonight with some snacks and drinks." I told her.

"And I paint your nails?"

"You know I don't mind. Now go get ready, I'll see you in the morning." I said.

"Okay. Bye Karter."

"Bye baby doll." I chuckled as she ran up with stairs. "I'll see you all tomorrow." I looked at the rest of them.

"Thank you Karter." Ryan gave me a small smile.

"Anytime." I replied and walked back to my car. With that, I went to get all the things my baby would need for tomorrow. Ranging from face masks, to nail polishes, to snacks and drinks.

God this girl does stuff to me.

A/N: Sorry for the late update but here it is.

Let me know what you think.