Chapter 6

I was down in the kitchen making breakfast. I was already dressed for work. I heard footsteps coming into the kitchen and I turned my head and saw Rick walking inside, wearing his uniform. He walked over and put a hand on my side and pecked my lips.

"Morning." I said, smiling.

"Morning." He said, returning the smile. We saw Carl walking in the kitchen right when I put the plates down. "Carl, hurry and finish your breakfast so you can get dressed for school." He said.

"Okay dad." He said, sitting down and started eating his breakfast.

"I better go. I'll see you both when I get home." I said. "Have fun at school Carl. And you have fun at work Rick." I said. I hugged Carl and Rick walked me to my car and kissed me.

"You have fun at work too Sydney." He said.

"I'll make sure I do." I said, getting in my car and started the engine. "Bye." I said, closing the door and rolled the window down halfway.

"Bye." He said, moving away from the car. I backed out of the driveway and waved before driving off to the hospital.

After a fifteen minute drive, I parked my car in the parking lot. I locked the car doors then walked inside to my office. I put my purse under my desk and grabbed my doctors coat, putting my badge on afterwards. I sat down behind my desk and looked over Samanthas resume and application. I decided to hire her, seeing she qualifies for the job. I dialed her number and after a couple rings she answered.

"Hello." She answered.
"Hello. This is Dr. Morgan at Piedmont Atlanta Hospital." I said. "I called concerning the job you applied for." I said.
"Alright." She said, waiting for me to tell her if she got the job or not.
"I've chosen to hire you. But you will have to go through training which means you'll be accompanying me around the hospital." I said.
"I understand and you can count on me." She said.
"When will you be able to start training?" I asked.
"I can start today." She told me.
"Okay. The uniform is scrubs and keep your hair up in a ponytail or in a bun." I said.
"Okay thank you so much." She said. "I'll be there soon." She said.
"Come to my office when you get here but if I'm not in my office, wait for me outside my office." I said.
"Okay I will." She said.
"Bye bye." I said, hanging up.

She already knows that I'm a neurosurgeon but she won't be helping with the surgeries, just watching from the platform above the ER room. Being a neurosurgeon is one the hardest things to do since it has something to do with the brain, the spinal cord, peripheral nerves and the cerebrovascular system. I went through years of school and training to become a neurosurgeon. It took about fifteen to sixteen years.

"Dr. Morgan, you're needed in ER room 3. Dr. Morgan, you're needed in ER room 3." The person over the intercom said.

I stood up and made my way to the room. I walked to get prepped for surgery then walked into the ER room.

"Dr. Morgan, the original doctor didn't show up and this man has a tumor in his brain and it needs to be removed." A nurse told me. I looked at his x-ray and saw that the tumor is the size of a baseball.

"Alright. The tumor is in the temporal lobe." I said, before turning to the patient.

His head was already shaven and so I started the surgery. I had to try to remove the whole tumor but there is a possibility that I can't remove the whole thing if it could damage a vital part of the brain. This surgery could take awhile since I have to concentrate and take my time with it. If I make one wrong move, the man could die.

6 hours later

The surgery was done and I wasn't able to remove the whole tumor since part of it was connected to a part of the brain that's vital and removing it could've killed him. I took the surgery jacket, the gloves, the mask and the hat off. I walked to my office and saw Samantha waiting for me outside my office. She's already wearing scrubs, which is good.

"Sorry to have made you wait. I was in surgery." I said.

"It's alright." She said.

I began showing her around keeping my pager on me in case of an emergency.

9 hours later

My shift was over and I was already heading home. I parked my car in the driveway and got out. I locked the car doors and went inside the house. I saw Rick and Carl in the living room, watching something on the TV. I walked in and plopped down beside Rick.

"How was work?" Rick asked.

"Tiring. I had to do a few surgeries while training the new nurse." I said. "How about yours?" I asked.

"Gave a few people tickets for speeding and such. Got in an argument with Shane." He said.

"That must've been fun." I said.

"Yeah very." He said, sarcastically.

I went upstairs and went to our room and took a shower then laid down in the bed after putting my pajamas on. Rick soon joined me and we both fell asleep.