Chapter 22

A few weeks went by and Carl was up and moving like he didn't get shot. Daryl was out there looking for Sophia. I was in the house with Hershel and a few others when I heard a gunshot. I held Emma tight so I don't drop her and ran out of the house. We got to the RV and stopped.

"What the hell's going on out here?" Hershel asked.

Emma was beginning to cry and I was bouncing her up and down to call her down. Shane, Rick, Glenn and T-Dog walked back with Rick and Shane holding onto Daryl.

Lori was now holding Emma while I was helping Daryl. I had him take his shirt off so I can stitch his wound. He had his arm up and out of the way while I was stitching the wound.

"I found it washed up on the creek bed right there. She must have dropped it crossing there somewhere." Daryl said.

"Cuts the grid almost in half." Rick said.

"Yeah, you're welcome." Daryl said, looking at his side when I finished stitching it. I wrapped a bandage around his head after fixing the bullet graze.

"How's he looking Sydney?" Rick asked.

"We're going through the antibiotics pretty fast. But we still have some left." I said, when Hershel walked into the room.

"Any idea where my horse is?" Hershel asked.

"Yeah, the one who almost killed me? If it's smart, it left the country." Daryl said.

"We call that one Nelly. As in nervous Nelly. I could've told you if you bothered to ask." Hershel said. "It's a wonder you all survived this long." He said.

They then left so it was just me and Daryl in the room. I was cleaning up the mess I made while Daryl covered himself with the blanket.

"If you need anything Daryl, you can holler and I'll come as soon as I can." I said.

"Thanks." He said.

"Now get some rest." I said, walking out and closed the door behind me.

I walked outside and saw Rick carrying Emma around. I smiled at the sight and walked over.

"Look at my two favorite people." I said.

"Look Emma. It's mommy." Rick said.

"His sweetheart, are you spending time with your daddy?" I said, putting my hand on the back of her head and rubbed gently. She giggled making me and Rick smile.

"She acts just like you Sydney." He said.

"Well, I did give birth to her. But she got your eyes though. The nice blue eyes that you can't say no to." I said.

"Just like you can't say no to me." He said.

"Shut up. Your eyes are one of my weaknesses but I'm not going to say the others." I said

"Come on tell me." He said.

"Nope." I said, walking away.

"Please?" He said.

"No." I said, walking into the tent.

A few days passed and we learned that there's walkers in the barn. Shane was saying that we should clear it out but Hershel keeps saying no.

I was sitting on the steps when Shane started handing guns out to everyone.

"What are you doing?" I asked, holding onto Emma while she was playing with my finger.

"This is it. We're not going to be unarmed knowing there's walkers in that barn." Shane said.

"Hershel said we can't carry any guns on his land Shane." I said.

"I don't care!" Shane shouted.

"You do this and my dad is going to make you all leave." Maggie said.

"Oh shit." T-Dog said.

We looked where he was and saw Rick, Hershel and Jimmy come out of the woods with walkers on snares. Shane ran down to them. I was walking next Lori while the others ran as well. Once we got down to the barn, Shane was shouting.

"Shane, just back off." Rick said.

"Why do you people have guns?" Hershel asked.

"You see what they're holding onto?" Shane shouted.

"I see who I'm holding onto." Hershel said.

"No, you don't." Shane said.

After little while, Shane ran to the barn doors after killing the walker Hershel was holding onto. He opened the doors and Rick made sure me and Emma was away from them. Walkers started flooding out of the barn and they started shooting, which made Emma start crying. The shooting came to an end but we heard another groan coming from the barn. Another walker came out and I widened my eyes to see who it was.

"Sophia? Sophia!" Carol shouted, running to her but Daryl stopped her and they went to the ground.

I fell to the ground, holding onto Emma so she doesn't fall out of my arms. Tears were falling out of my eyes seeing her like this. Rick walked towards her and aimed his gun at her head. He pulled the trigger and killed her, making her fall to the ground.

Rick came over and crouched down and pulled me against him careful not to hurt Emma, who was still crying. He helped me stand up and I tried to calm Emma down while I was crying.

"Get him off my land!" Hershel shouted.

"Let me tell you something." Shane said.

"Don't touch him! Haven't you done enough?!" Maggie shouted, walking with her family back to the house.

"Lori, can you take Emma?" I asked.

"Of course." She said, getting Emma from me and walked up to the house with Carl.

I walked to the field and sat down in the grass, wrapping my arms around my knees.

"Can I sit with you Sydney?" Rick asked.

I nodded my head without looking at him. I was looking up at the sky, thinking about Sophia. I scooted closer to him and put my head against his shoulder while he wrapped his arm around me.

"I can't believe she's gone Rick. She was such a sweet little girl." I said.

"I know. But she's not suffering anymore and she's still with us." He said.

"I want to be there for Carol but I know I have to give her some space since her daughter is dead. I would if one of our kids died. Which I pray never happens." I said.

"She needs to be alone with her for a little while and we'll have a service for Sophia." He said.

"I love you Rick." I said.

"I love you too Sydney." He said.

We then stood up and an hour later we buried Sophia and had a service for her.

It was soon dark and we were in our tents, getting ready to sleep. Emma was already asleep next to Carl since she wanted to be with her brother. I was cuddled up to Rick with my head on his shoulder and my hand on his chest. I soon fell asleep to the sound of his heartbeat.