Chapter 42

Me and Carl were pushing Emma and Judith in the stroller when we heard a crash. We went towards it and saw Rick hitting Pete.

"Carl, stay with your sisters." I said, before going over to them. "Rick! Stop!" I shouted.

He continued punching him, like he's going to kill him.

"Rick!" I shouted again.

"For gods sake Rick, stop!" Deanna shouted.

"Or what? You going to kick me out?" Rick asked.

"Rick, put the gun down." I said, calmly.

"You still don't get it." Rick said to Deanna. "None of you do!" He shouted. "We know what needs to be done and we do it. We're the ones who live. You, you just sit and plan and hesitate. You pretend like you know when you don't. You wish things weren't what they are. Do you want to live? You want this place to stay standing? Your way of doing things is done. Things don't get better because you want them to. Starting right now, we have to live in the real world. We have to control who lives here." He said.

"That's never been more clear to me than it is right now." Deanna said.

"Me? Me? You mean me? Your way is going to destroy this place. It's going to get people killed. It's already gotten people killed. And I'm not going to stand by and just let it happen. If you don't fight, you die. I'm not going to stand by and—" He said, before getting knocked out by Michonne.

I ran over to him before he was able to hit the ground.

"Take him down to the empty room." Deanna ordered someone.

They took him and I followed behind them. He was now laying on a mattress and I fixed up his wounds. He soon woke up.

"Hi Rick." I said, smiling slightly.

"Hi." He said, looking at me.

"What happened earlier? Why were you and Pete fighting?" I asked.

"He abuses his wife. I couldn't just let him continue. Deanna wasn't going to do anything, so I did." He told me.

"I understand why you did it Rick. I really do." I said. "But where did you get the gun?" I asked.

"The armory." He answered. "I wanted to kill him Sydney. I still do. Jesse doesn't deserve to get abused. Neither does her kids." He said.

"I know and I agree with you. They might see it differently than we do though. Because they're not used to everything outside these walls. They haven't spent enough time out there. Haven't spent as much time as we did out there." I said. "But maybe they'll come around eventually, hopefully." I said, putting my hand on his.

He interlocked our hands and squeezed.

"I know but they need to come around now. What if something happens that they can't handle? They wouldn't know what to do." He said.

"I'm worried about that too. But they have us. People who knows how everything is out there. Knows there's people out there that aren't as nice as us, who is basically out for blood. People who will kill without a second thought." I said. "We know how to handle those kinds of situations because we've been through them before." I added. "With us here, they're safer since we experienced a lot out there." I said, smiling slightly.

"Yes we are." He said.

The door then opened and Glenn walked inside.

"What's Deanna going to do about what happened?" I asked.

"They're having a meeting." Glenn said.

"To try to kick me out?" Rick asked.

"We don't know that Rick." Glenn said.

"Glenn's right. It could be about something else." I said.

"I doubt it. Seeing they're having a meeting after my outburst." Rick said.

"Rick, stop thinking like that. You have us to back you up." I said.

"Sydney, maybe you should go talk to Deanna. She'll probably listen to you." Glenn said.

"That's a good idea. I'll go talk to her now." I said, standing up and headed to Deanna's house.

I knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer it. The door soon opened and Deanna was in front of me.

"What do you need?" She asked.

"Can we talk about what happened earlier?" I asked.

"Alright." She said, letting me inside.

She led me to the living room and we both sat down.

"So what do you need to say about what your husband did?" She asked.

"He had a reason for what he did. He was protecting Jesse because she's getting abused. Rick cares about everyone and he wants to protect us." I said. "Ricks lost a lot. He lost his best friend. He had to kill his own best friend because he was going to kill him. And he helped me through the lose of my sister." I said.

"How did your sister die?" She asked.

"She died giving birth to Judith. I was the one who cut her open. I knew she wasn't going to make it and she knew as well. When Rick saw that she was dead, he went to talk to me. I shouted at him for him to leave me alone. He did but once I calmed down, I apologized for what I did. He understood why did it. He knew he should've given me some space. Ricks a good man. He only does things when he has a reason to." I said. "We're still here because of him. He's kept us alive, and he'll continue to keep us alive." I said.

"Okay. I heard what you had to say and that'll be brought up at the meeting tonight." She said.

I was then dismissed and I went back to where Rick was. I laid next to him and put my hand on his chest.

"Rick, I hope you know that I'll do anything to help you. No matter what it is." I said.

"I know you will. I love you." He said.

"I love you too." I said, looking at him.

He placed his lips against mine and our lips began to move in sync with each other. After a minute, we pulled away.

"I'm going to go check to see if Emma is awake." I said.

"Okay, tell her I love her for me." He said.

"I will." I said, standing up.

I walked into her room and saw her standing in her crib.

"Hi sweetheart." I said, picking her up.

"Mama." She said, smiling at me.

I spent the day playing with Emma until it turned nighttime.