Chapter 16

"Daryl, cover the back!" Shane shouted.

"Are any of you infected?" A man in a white coat asked, aiming a gun at us.

"One of us was. They didn't make it." Rick said.

"Why are you here? What do you want?" The man asked.

"A chance." Rick said.

"That's asking a lot these days." The man said.

"I know." Rick said.

"You all have to submit a blood test. The cost of admission." The man said.

"We can do that." Rick said.

"If you have stuff to bring in, do it now. Once these doors shut, it stays shut." The man said.

We grabbed our stuff and followed the man inside. We walked to an elevator then went down. We submitted the test but it was hard with Emma since she's a baby.

"Rick Grimes." Rick introduced himself.

"Dr. Edwin Jenner." Jenner introduced.

"Doctors always go around packing heat like that?" Daryl asked.

"There are plenty laying around and so I familiarized myself." Jenner said. "But you look harmless enough. Except you, I'll have to keep an eye on you." Jenner said to Carl, which made him smile.

"Are we underground?" Carol asked.

"Are you claustrophobic?" Jenner asked.

"A little." She said.

"Try not to think about it." He said.

We were all sitting around the table having a feast. I had Emma in my lap and Rick was beside me and Carl was beside him.

"In Italy, children were allowed to have a little wine with their dinner." Shane said. "And in France." He added.

"When he's in Italy or France, then he can have some." I said.

"Come on. What's it going to hurt?" Rick said.

"Fine." I said.

"There you go little man." Dale said, pouring a little bit in Carls cup.

Carl lifted the cup to his mouth while everyone waited for his reaction. He took a sip and made a disgusted face.

"Eww!" Carl exclaimed.

"Good boy." I said.

Rick poured the rest in his cup since I can't have any alcohol since I'm breastfeeding.

"Stick to your soda pop there bud." Shane said.

"Not you Glenn." Daryl said.

"What?" Glenn asked.

"I want to see how red your face gets." Daryl said, pouring more into his cup.

"It seems to me we haven't thanked our host properly yet." Rick said.

"He is more than just our host." T-Dog said.

"Hear hear!" Daryl shouted.

"Here's to you doc!" T-Dog shouted.

"Booyah!" Daryl exclaimed.