Chapter 84

I was fully healed after a few weeks. Well, not fully but enough to where it doesn't hurt and where I can walk. I was walking with Rick, exploring the area. This looks like a city. What's left of it but the were people walking around. Children running around laughing and playing. Just like old times.

"Look who's up and moving around." Helena said, walking in our direction.

"Hi Helena. How are you?" I said.

"I'm good. How about you? Are you still in pain?" Helena asked.

"Thankfully no." I said. "What did I miss while I was stuck in bed?" I asked.

"Nothing much." Nathan said.

We began to hear yelling and shouting coming from down the street. We followed the yelling and saw a group of people gathered around an area.

"You're fucking blind if you don't see the truth of what those people are! They're fucking killers!" A man's voice shouted.

"They're not killers!" Another man shouted.

"Did you see what they did to that innocent boy?! They killed him based on what one person said! They didn't have any evidence that he did it!" The first man shouted.

"They didn't need the evidence! It was plain as day that he was the one that did it!" The second man shouted.

"Break it up!" Men in armor shouted.

"I wonder what that was all about." I said. "All I gathered was a boy being killed. And he could've been innocent or guilty." I said.

"But what did he supposedly do to get the death sentence?" Nathan asked.

"Who knows." Rick said. "We better not get ourselves involved in whatever it is." He said.

"I just want to know what the boy supposedly did." Nathan said, walking away towards the crowd.

We followed him just in case something took a turn.

"Hey!" Nathan shouted, making all of them turn towards him. "What do the boy do or supposedly do?" He asked.

"He planned to kill the leader and take over!" A man shouted.

"No he didn't! There's no proof that he was going to try!" Another man shouted.

"The evidence is there! They found a notebook full of his plans to take over!" The first man shouted.

"That doesn't mean he was actually going to do it!" The second man shouted.

"We said break it up!" Men in armor shouted.

We then walked away and I needed to sit down for a bit. We found a bench and I sat down. Rick sat next to me and wrapped an arm around me.

"Are you okay Sydney?" Rick asked.

"Yeah, I just needed to sit for a little bit." I said, looking at him.

"Are we going to help prove if that boy is innocent or guilty?" Nathan asked.

"We can't get involved in what's going on. Someone else could get killed." Rick said.

"But what if the boy was innocent? That'll mean an innocent boy died for something he didn't do. We need to do something." Nathan said.

"Rick's right. We can't get involved because who knows what this leader will do. If he or she finds out we're looking to see if the boy was innocent or guilty, they could execute us." I said. "It's best to stay out of trouble." I said.

"So we're not going to even try?" Nathan asked.

"Sorry but we can't get involved. Me and Sydney know what happens if we involve ourselves. It doesn't end well." Rick said.

"This is bullshit!" Nathan exclaimed, walking away.

"Nathan!" Helena shouted. "Sorry. I'll see you both later." She said, before running after Nathan.

"Why do I feel bad?" I asked.

"Don't feel bad. It's the right thing to stay out of it." Rick said, putting a hand on my thigh.

"I know but the boy could've been innocent but I don't want anyone else getting killed." I said.

"We saw too much of that." He said.

"Yeah." I said, before sighing. "Let's just walk around a little bit before it gets dark." I said, standing up.

We held hands while walking the streets. We were looking at all the buildings here. This place is amazing but I'm not sure what kind of wall they have. And I still don't know if I can trust these people.

It was now dark and we were in the building we're sleeping in. I was laying next to Rick, cuddled up to him with my head on his chest. I could hear his heartbeat which was calming.

"I love you Rick." I said.

"I love you too Sydney." Rick said, kissing the top of my head.

We soon fell asleep without realizing what's going to come tomorrow.