Chapter 11

8 months later:

I was at home watching TV when the phone rang. I picked it up and put it to my ear.

"Hello?" I answered.
"Is this Mrs. Grimes?" A man asked.
"Yes it is." I said.
"There's been an accident with your husband." He said.
"What happened?" I asked, holding in tears.
"He was shot during a chase. He's in the hospital right now." He said.
"Okay. I'm on my way there." I said, hanging up.

I couldn't believe what I was just told. I can't believe Rick got shot. I stood up the best I can by myself and went to the front door, grabbing my purse, phone and keys.

"Carl! Come on! We have to go to the hospital!" I shouted.

He ran down the stairs and we got in my car and headed to the hospital. I parked the car and we went inside.

"My husband was brought here from a gunshot wound." I said.

"What's your husbands name?" She asked.

"Rick Grimes." I said, tears in my eyes.

"He's in surgery right now but the doctor will be right out to speak with you." She said.

"Okay thank you." I said, sitting down in the waiting room.

"What happened to dad?" Carl asked.

"He was shot during a chase." I told him, trying to be strong.

He started crying and he wrapped his arms around me and I wrapped my arms around him. I looked towards the hospital entrance and saw Shane come inside. He saw me and walked over. We get along now but we still argue here and there.

"I'm so sorry Sydney." He said, putting his hand on my shoulder.

"He has to pull through this. We can't live without him Shane." I said, a few tears falling out of my eyes.

"He'll pull through Sydney, you know he will." He said.

"How did it happen? How did he get shot?" I asked.

"It happened during a chase and they told it was two men in a white car. They rolled down a hill and the two men shot at us and we shot back and killed them. Rick turned around after being shot in his vest but he was okay. A third guy came out of the car but I didn't see him and he shot him." He said.

"So they gave you two the wrong information?" I asked.

"They probably only saw two and didn't see the third guy." He said.

I didn't say anything else, just put my head down. Shane stayed with me and Carl until the doctor came out.

"Mrs. Grimes?" The doctor said, in front of me.

"That's me." I said, looking at him and stood up with Shane's help.

"Your husband made it through the surgery. But he's in a coma and might be for awhile." The doctor said. "You can go see him. He's in room 23." He said, walking away.

Me, Shane and Carl walked to his room and went inside to see him hooked to machines. I walked over to his bed and grabbed his hand, after pulling a chair over and sat down.

"Mom, is dad going to be okay?" Carl asked. He calls me his mom now since I married his father.

"I hope so Carl. He needs us to have hope in him." I said.

Shane came over behind me and put his hands on my shoulders and squeezed slightly.

Two weeks later:

Rick was still in a coma and has been for two weeks. I was praying for him every night.

I was currently in the kitchen, pouring myself some coffee when there was a knock on the front door. I walked over and opened it, revealing a worried Shane.

"Sydney, grab everything you and Carl need and pack it all up. We have to leave." Shane said, coming inside.

"Why? What's going on? And I'm not going anywhere without my husband." I said.

"Sydney, you have to. I was just at the hospital. The army is shooting everything that moves. And the power is out at the hospital and the machines he's connected to is off. But something is going on and it's bringing the dead to life." He said. "Just please get Carl and grab the necessities and lets go." He said. I went and packed that I need them did Carls.

"Mom, what's going on? Why are you packing everything?" Carl asked.

"We have to go Carl. Grab your bag and lets go." I said.

"Okay." He said, grabbing his bag.

We walked downstairs and Shane grabbed my bag from me and went outside. I saw Lori already in the car. We got in and Shane drove away from Atlanta.
___________________________________
This is when the apocalypse happens and I decided to put it in this story.