4.2

Renshu ignored him and finally arrived at the library doors. The two large carved doors swung open with surprising ease. The library was side and open, a hollow three stories tall with a domed glass roof. The bookcases spiraled up with the stairs, leather, and cloth bound books with gold and silver trimmings and pages, bejeweled and carved, made the polished wood in the library colorful and rich.

"Rein Nett, find me informational books on genies."

[I will mark them with stars, Host!]

As stars popped up in his vision, Renshu heard Rani close the doors. Renshu walked over to the closest book, pulling it out when his shoulders were grabbed. Renshu stiffened in surprise, unable to react in time as he was spun around and slammed into the bookshelf. Volumes of books fell around him as Renshu winced at the book spines digging into his back. Renshu bared his teeth and glared up at Rani who glared murderously back at him.

"What did you do to Ersa?" Rani demanded lowly.

"What the hell is happening?" Renshu snarled.

[Host, Rani in public is very polite and subservient however behind closed doors to those who are weaker than him, he is very arrogant and cruel.]

"I'm a prince, even if only in name! Isn't he worried about repercussions?"

[This is strange, Host. In the plot, he never acted hostile towards Metin.]

"What does it matter to you?!" Renshu pushed at him, appalled to see the man barely budge. Renshu settled for glaring at him. "Release me!"

"Answer the question." Repeated Rani.

"I made my third wish! Happy now?!" Renshu answered, driving his heel into the man's instep.

Rani's eyes widened in surprise before the pain registered. The man cursed, releasing Renshu. Renshu slammed the book across Rani's face, the 600 pages doing maximum damage.

Renshu watched Rani go down with cold eyes, before turning back to the bookshelves and gathering his books.

Rani crouched on the floor in pain. He cursed as thoughts flew through his head. Rani glared at the man who ignored him and slowly stood back up. 

"Why?" Rani's voice was low and controlled.

Renshu huffed, exasperated. "Why what?" Crazy, talkative man.

"Why did you release her? I thought you loved her?"

Ahh, what a good opportunity. Ready to see a good show, gods?

"Rein Nett, watch this."

Renshu bowed his head, gripping the genie book tightly. "She said she loved me. That she wouldn't leave." Renshu lifted his head, red-rimmed eyes staring at Rani's astonished gaze as he choked out, "Am I so unlovable? Why would she promise to be with me when it was all a lie?"

Rani was speechless. He shook his head and muttered to himself, "Does anyone really believe such a blatant lie? Genies have been playing that same game for centuries."

Rani's eyes flickered over the mass of books Renshu was collecting, his gaze sharpening once more. "Why are you reading these books? You are not after revenge, are you?"

"Why does it matter to you?" Renshu whimpered. He caressed the books lovingly, soft light in his gaze. "I want to understand her. Understand her culture and people so that when she comes back, I can apologize for making her so angry. So, I can make her happy to be with me."

Renshu took a step towards Rani, who stiffened. "You know that saying, 'If you love someone, set them free. If they return they're yours; if not they never were.'" Renshu trembled and gave a strained laugh. "I'm hoping she's mine because I belonged to her since the day I met her."