4.11

It was hard to look away. As Renshu sat in the throne room, listening to the people lament about their lives this day that gave them audience with the king, Renshu could feel his eyes straining to turn towards him. The king sat beside him, looking bored. Eyes glazed as the person ranted for his full minute.

Renshu's eyes burned as he battled the urge within himself, but it was a losing battle. The minute his self-control wavered, his eyes already locked on Rani. The genie was standing behind the throne. Stripped of his clothes and given the customary slave cloth. His eyes were dark, skin littered with dark bruises, but he still stayed standing with a defiant glint in his eyes.

Rani met his gaze before his eyes darted away. Renshu gritted his teeth.Words and curses bubbled up in his throat, but he kept it pressed down.

When the last person finished their complaint, bowing towards the thrones and leaving, the king heaved a sigh. With a grunt, he stood up. "Dismissed."

A few nobles stood up, the scribes' hands flying over the pages as they finished their last lines. The king grabbed the genie bottle, much to Renshu's chagrin, and exited. Renshu quickly stood up and followed him out.

[Host...]

Renshu spoke up before Rein Nett could deter him. "Father!"

The king turned away from his room's door, waiting in irritation.

"I have a private matter to discuss with you." Renshu gestured to the door, and the king nodded.

They entered the room, bypassing the guards. The king sat on the bed, rubbing his eyes warily. 

"What is it? You-."

Renshu darted forward and hit an acupuncture point. The king swayed before falling to the bed, light snoring picking up.

Rani, who had been silent the whole time, spoke up worriedly. "Karim, you-"

"Where's your bottle?"

Rani stayed silent.

Renshu gritted his teeth, turning on him, snapping. "Where is your bottle, Rani?"

Rani sighed. "I won't tell you."

"What?"

Rani folded his arms. "If you free me from my bottle, the king will know it's you. Then what? People will make the connection and realize who you are."

"If I don't, you will stay bound!"

Rani stepped forward, so they were face to face, intertwining their fingers. "Remember, you are the prince now. His personal servants are all working with you and the rebellion's people will soon replace them. Everyone is watching you. You are the genies' future towards freedom. We can't compromise that."

Renshu stared at their hands, saying nothing.

"The king won't harm me. I am a warning to the genies. A bit of humiliation won't kill me."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Renshu asked, locking gazes.

Rani sighed. "At first, I didn't trust you, but the longer I spent with you, it just never seemed the right time. I convinced myself that me being a genie didn't matter." He lifted their hands, pressing it against his cheek. "It doesn't, right?"

"You healed me when I was poisoned, didn't you? It wasn't the antidote."

"I reduced the poison in your bloodstream enough that the antidote could take effect." Rani nodded.