2.13

The sunlight streamed between the branches, warming the ground with whispering kisses. It looked peaceful, the autumn leaves crunching under footsteps, bringing puffs of the forest scent into the air. Anyone traveling in the forest would feel their mood lift from the scenery alone.

"Where the hell is he?" Renshu complained, buried to his head with crispy red, orange leaves.

Eli happily continued to pile them on Renshu one at a time, though the tightness around his eyes betrayed his tension. "It's only been a couple of days."

"He found us so fast before."

"It's been years since we have been trapped in that shop. Who knows where he went." Eli reminded in a coaxing tone.

Renshu swiveled his head 180 degrees to look over at Eli through the gaps of the leaves. "Don't patronize me, kid."

Eli grinned, before digging into the sack next to him and pulling out a loaf of stale bread.

He ate quietly while Renshu sulked.

It was only when Renshu broke the silence between them that Eli happily conversed, again studying the closest leaf near them before placing it on the ever growing pile on top of Renshu.

The two continued to wait, Renshu resigned to another day of waiting when silence swept through the forest. No critters danced among the branches. Even the wind seemed to hold its breath. 

Renshu raised his head at an ominous crunch.

Between a tall oak tree and a struggling maple, the Witcher stalked closer, leather trenchcoat brushing against the leaves with a foreboding hiss. His wide-brimmed hat was pulled up enough to see a pale, rotting chin, lips long gone and razor teeth clicking together as he spoke.

"Found you." The voices were gleeful and screaming, childish lit yet a raspy tone.

The fiery eyes zeroed in on Eli as his body trembled, eyes wide.

Renshu quickly shook off the leaves on his head.

"Focus Eli!" He shouted.

"I-I know but...he killed mom and sis."

"And now you get revenge!" Renshu sneered. "Quickly, start casting!"

Eli froze a few seconds longer before his quivering voice quickly started to mutter the spell. His hands danced over the stones, tracing invisible runes on its smooth pale green surface.

The Witcher sped up at the sight, hands like claws stretching outward-

Clang!

Leaves flew up around the Witcher, stopping him 20 feet away. A bear trap, one of many that surrounded Eli and Renshu in a tight circle, sprung from the leaves.

Its metal teeth dug in painfully as the Witcher howled, it's eerie voice sending shivers down Renshu's spine.

"Eli!" Renshu shouted.

The last symbols spilled from Eli's lips. Sparks sizzled around his hands and quickly traveled up into his eyes. His blue eyes glowed green as he stared intensely at the Witcher.

The Witcher howled and a magic aura blazed around him, sending pulses into the air. Eli let out a cry, stumbling back.

"Eli?" Renshu worriedly went to him.

The boy pulled his hands away from his eyes, blood leaking from the corners like bloody tears. "He fought it off. It didn't work."

"Try again." Renshu urged, panic starting to seep in. He didn't know the Witcher could fight off spells. Now that he really thought about it, he knew next to nothing about the Witcher at all. Why didn't he study more?! What's the point of having the world's information in his head if he doesn't utilize it more?!