4.5

Under the sand arches, the market flourished. The stalls were set up with tarps that provided shade from the scorching sun, drawing people in only for a little respite. Goods hung on the walls with hooks, vendors sitting on woven baskets until a customer came perusing. Only then did they get up singing the praises of their wares and rubbing their hands together. The streets were narrow with all the people and the stench of sweat and dust lingered in the air with a fishy aftertaste.

Renshu pulled up his face covering so only his eyes were visible, diligently walking beside him.

"This is a bad idea, Karim," Rani muttered under his breath as they made their way deeper into the market.

Renshu dodged someone's shoulder, only to bump into someone else. His eyebrow twitched and though he wanted to return to the castle, he would never let Rani have the satisfaction.

"It's too stuffy to stay in the castle all the time. I want to see what it is like in public."

"Yes, is the air much fresher here," Rani answered drily.

Renshu sent him a look and replied stiffly. "It's flavorful."

"Nothing is better than the scent of sweat and dirt."

Renshu clenched his teeth but said nothing. There was no point. Rani was getting more and more mouthy and nothing seemed to stop it.

"Just take me to the shop."

"Of course, Karim."

"Stop calling me that. I'm in disguise, remember? Just call me Metin."

Rani paused, glancing at Renshu before responding slowly, "Yes, Metin."

Rani leads him further into the crowd, skillfully dodging people with ease. Renshu struggled to keep up, getting jostled so many many times his face flushed with exertion and anger. When an elbow dug into Renshu's side, he snapped toward the man with his mouth open to bite him when someone pulled Renshu by the hand.

Renshu stumbled, staring at the smiling servant.

"Keep a hold, Kar-Metin. Don't get lost."

Rani intertwined their finger, pupils pulsing.

Renshu's eyes widened, his eyes darting towards their interlocked hands and back up. Pursing his lips, Renshu peered into Rani's eyes.

The pupils expanded wider and a grin grew on Rani's face. "Metin?" He asked softly.

Hearing the smooth, human tone, Renshu snapped out of his stupor.

Heat rushed to the fox's head and his eyes dropped.

Embarrassed, Renshu snapped, I'm fine." And tugged his hand away.

Stupid! For a second, I thought...

Rani fell silent then gently grabbed his wrist. "Follow me, Karim."

"Metin." Renshu corrected him.

"Metin."

Renshu let himself be dragged through the crowds. Although he wanted to complain about not being a child, it was difficult to maneuver here. It would be quicker to be guided by Ran than to complain. The sooner he bought the Genie, the sooner he would never have to come here again. The castle was way better than the market.

After two more elbows to the gut and five shoulder bumps, they reached a mud-brick store with a lamp carved into the wall. Rani lifted the red and purple cloth blocking the doorway and let Renshu through.