5.5

They created a plan after a few weeks. Renshu already sent Macey the address of the hero, Mime, who could create barriers. Renshu sat on the bench at the bus stop across from the museum, leaning forward and resting his chin on his palm. The doors of the bus swung open, and Macey stepped out wearing only black, his eyes glowing like a cat's.

Renshu got to his feet and adjusted the bag strap on his shoulder before they both started walking in the museum's direction, the bus pulling away in the distance.

Renshu avoided the shrieking kids running around. One exhausted mother tried to gather them, and a father shook a bag of treats as if he were calling for a dog. The young children rushed over to the father, their eyes glistening with hunger.

A couple of people were watching with looks of pity and scorn.

Renshu rolled his eyes and paid the entrance charge. Renshu and Macey began their tour of the interior, which was surprisingly wasn't deserted given that there was only one hour remaining until closing.

"Can you find a safe location to hide, Rein Nett? No cameras?"

[On it!]

Renshu stared at the zero gravity area, smiling as he sped towards it.

[Host, the storage closet between the restrooms on the east side of the building, is the ideal spot to hide.]

Renshu hesitated and turned around after casting a wistful glance toward the zero gravity room. The bathroom were on opposite sides of the building.

Macey followed, eyebrows raised.

They reach a quiet hallway that leads to the restrooms. Renshu stops at the wooden door marked "Storage" and tries the handle, but it's locked.

Renshu waved at Macey. "Time to shine."

After rolling his eyes, Macey knelt down and removed the bobby pins from his sleeves. Renshu leaned against the wall beside him, watching the entrance wearily.

Renshu tensed whenever the sound of footsteps drew near. But each one wound Renshu up tighter and tighter until-

"Can you hurry up?!" Renshu said

"I'm sorry. Did you just learn lock-picking from a YouTube video a few weeks ago?" Macey shot back. "Give me a damn minute!"

"It's been like 5!"

"Buuullllshit."

Returning his gaze to the entryway, Renshu noticed a young child standing there with wide eyes.Renshu cursed, hearing the frantic steps of high heels close by.

"Get up! Someone's coming!"

"But I'm almost there!"

"Now!"

"I'll lose all my progress if I move my hand!"

"What progress!" Renshu glared. "Nothing happened."

Macey swore, securing the two bobby pins with one hand while grasping Renshu by the belt loops and dragging him closer.

Renshu stumbled, his back towards the entranceway. He saw Macey was an inch from his crotch.

"W-w-what are you doing!" Renshu held back the urge to wail on the man.

A gasp sounded behind him.

Macey peered behind Renshu, licking his lips as he winked at the lady."Can we get a little privacy?"

Renshu suddenly realized what this looked like. His entire face erupted in anger, and he shook with an almost unbearable urge to strike Macey.

"Uh-" The woman stumbled before her son asked, "What are they doing?"

The woman squeaked before Renshu heard rapid footsteps fading away.

Renshu heaved in anger, glaring down at Macey. "You mother-"

Macey pushed him aside and continued working. "Keep watch."

"What if they send security over?"

"Well, hopefully, we won't be here."

"Hopefully?" Renshu squeaked.

"Shut up and let me concentrate-you know what? Pull up the YouTube video again and let me-"

"You said you had this down!"

"I did! Last week when I said I was ready. But you weren't finished with the replica-"

"I can't control how fast the machine works!"

"Well, maybe if you started earlier-"

"Some of us have actual jobs!"

"Villainy is a full-time job-"

Click.

They both froze, staring at the door. Renshu slowly reached out and grabbed the handle. They held their breath, and Renshu found himself reluctant to turn the knob. What if it didn't work?

Renshu breathed deeply and then twisted, easily opening the door. They both fixed their gazes on the small closet that was jam-packed with holiday decorations. Suddenly, the lack of security made sense. Who, after all, steals a Christmas tree from a museum?

They both cram themselves in, Renshu trying to sit on a large present that collapsed under his weight. It turned out to be cardboard. He now has plenty of room to sit, though. Macey sat next to a leprechaun cutout after avoiding several tinsel hearts.

"Now we wait?" Macey asked, pulling out his phone.

Renshu nodded, pulling out a bag of fudge. "Now we wait."