1.11

Jail was boring. There wasn't much to do, besides daydream, eat and sleep. The only upside is that the conditions were a lot better than the jailhouse from Renshu's original world.

No rats nibbled at your toes or torches that would flicker and go out.

All and all, looking at the bright side, it was like a crappy spa day for Renshu.

Leaning back against the stone wall, Renshu stared at the ceiling, zoning out as Rein Nett babbled on and on and this world and others.

It talked about worlds where there where men could give birth, countries run by AIs or undead humans craving brains. It was in the middle of babbling about shifter when the System stopped abruptly.

"What's wrong?" Renshu glanced up at the air as if he could see the voice in his head.

"Why did you let those officers arrest you?" Rein knew if Renshu really wanted, he probably could have killed them all. After all, he is from a world where people have powers and Renshu was still able to kill whole groups of people.

Renshu shrugged, picking at his shirt. "The Ranking I have is lower than it should be. I thought I could manipulate it to my benefit and I wasn't wrong!-it just isn't working as well as I expected..." Renshu mumbles trailed off. "My Task is already almost complete. I just have to transfer all of the Original Renshu's savings into the Aunts' hands."

[But Host, that would leave the original Renshu penniless.] System argued.

Renshu snorted. "So?"

Rein went silent.

"Before the Plot is complete, I have to raise my Ranking up to a ten. Only then can I leave this place." Renshu flopped to the floor, throwing his arms out. "But, now, that seems impossible! And I'm tired of helping Idan! Sometimes he looks at me funny but I can't snap his neck cause I would get divine punishment." Renshu glared at the ceiling.

[....so you went to jail?]

Solemnly, Renshu agreed. "I went to jail."

[...] That doesn't make any sense! ┻━┻ ︵ヽ('Д')ノ︵ ┻━┻

The grinding of the cell door halted the conversation. Staring up at the officer with Renshu's lawyer behind him, a sinking feeling entered his gut.

The lawyer, a blond woman with cat necklace, walked over. "Renshu, I went over your case and talked to the judge and affiliated parties. There is a deal we can make."

Setting her briefcase on the metal table, it popped open. "Since your holding of two weeks, Ashley was found dead, the trademarks of the Crimson Tear Killer present. That suit over your head has been dropped."

Yep, Ashley didn't die by Renshu. Don't get the wrong, idea, he tried but the wound he inflicted, though it landed her in the ICU and almost killed her....

Well, it's the almost that bugged him. 

However, with Idan who most likely sneaked into the hospital and finished the job, in the end, she still bit the bullet. 

"Oh." Renshu blinked then leaned forward, holding out chained wrists. "So you'll let me go?"

Casting a look, she set a folder onto the table. "There is still the case of you attempting to drug the daughter of the E'claire family. According to RCW 9A.36.021, the family is insisting you face the highest penalty of ten years in prison."

Ten years? Vacation sounded good and all but ten years? Who would want to stay in this shitty world for so long!

Face paling, Renshu leaned back. This...this isn't good. Is it time to break the handcuffs and flee? But the Yellowbrick Road Restriction...is it even possible to go anywhere?

"However, we could always plead insanity. There is also the option of doing ten years in a mental ward. Based on your psychiatric results, the judge is leaning towards that result." The lawyer leaned in closer, sharp eyes flashing. "Someone actually recommended the Maple Palm Valley"

Maple Palm Valley? Isn't that where the Female Lead works?

Renshu smiled widely. "Someone call the doctor, I think I caught a case of loco-itis."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, for some reason when I first published this, all the sentences were smushed together. Hopefully, it is better now.