XII

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄 | Desert Travels

{ Coren }

✧✦✧

𝕮oren Thorne was uncertain, an emotion that he was fairly unfamiliar with. 

Normally, the young Westerosi knew his own mind well, but as of late, everything that he knew had been tested and tried. He had believed that the gods favoured the good but lately the good had been struggling. He had also believed that dragons did not exist, but the sharp claws digging into the skin on his neck reminded him that, once again, this belief was wrong. Not to mention, the bright comet soaring overhead was a sign of impending doom that was doing little to settle Coren's fears.

"If you keep digging your claws in, you can go straight back into your crate." Coren hissed, glaring down at the small dragon from the corner of his eyes. The red creature shot him a glare in return, golden eyes narrowed as smoke curled from his nostrils. The claws dug in further.

After Daenerys had emerged from the fire, the red dragon had taken a peculiar liking to Coren and the Westerosi teenager had been unable to distance himself from the small creature. Now, it was not uncommon, to see the soldier wandering around with a red dragon attached to his shoulder though Coren was not entirely thrilled about the new development.

"Coren, stop threatening the dragons." Daenerys muttered from the other side of him, still trying to get the smaller, obsidian coloured dragon, Drogon, to eat.

"I was not threatening." Coren shook his head, brushing the sand from his hands. "Merely stating a fact. Falkor knows that."

Falkor snapped at Coren's ear in response. Daenerys sighed at the pairs antics, before holding some more meat up to Drogon's mouth, yet the dragon refused.

"What did your brother say about them, Khaleesi?" The voice of Daenerys' handmaid, Doreah, reached their ears as Coren turned to watch the conversation.

"He said they eat meat." Daenerys shrugged.

"How insightful." Coren muttered beneath his breath, though he did not care if the others heard him. His dislike for Viserys was a well known secret, and now the man was dead, Coren was more than happy to continue to express his distaste.

"He didn't tell you what kind of meat?"

"My brother didn't know anything about dragons." Daenerys hummed, before sighing. "He didn't know anything about anything."

She added those words on like an afterthought as she placed Drogon back into his cage. In Coren's opinion, from his limited knowledge of dragons, they'd most likely eat anything but they were probably stressed because Daenerys was stressed. The dragons had become rather tuned into her emotions. 

"Can I have Falkor?" Coren nodded at Daenerys' request, bending down so that the young Khaleesi could pull the dragon off of Coren's shoulder and place him in with his brother. Coren winced, rubbing the claw marks on his neck.

There was a commotion at the front of the caravan, causing Coren to straighten up. He reached for Daenerys' wrist, grabbing his dagger with his other hand as he looked around for any attackers.

"One of the horses has fallen." Daenerys translated to Coren swiftly, waiting for the man to let go of her before rushing forwards to see what had happened. Coren watched Daenerys hurry to the side of a grey horse, his eyebrows furrowing, but he hung back with the dragon's cage.

As much as he didn't like leaving Daenerys' without his protection for too long, she had commanded him to also protect the dragons as best he could. He watched Daenerys and Jorah talk, fighting down the anger swirling inside of him, before furrowing his eyebrows further as three riders took off in different directions.

"What is happening?" Coren muttered, cocking his eyebrow as Daenerys drew close to him once more.

"I am sending them to search for something, anything truly. We can not continue onwards with little food and water, it will not do us well." Daenerys muttered quietly, determined not to let anyone overhear their conversation. "We'll set up camp here. Jorah and some of the men are going to cut up the horse for more meat, for food for the others..."

"And you are alright with that?" Coren cocked an eyebrow, placing his pack down onto the ground. 

"Why would I not be?" The white haired woman wasn't watching him, her head turned away so that he could not see her eyes and Coren narrowed his own. He racked his memory, before a particular one came to mind. It was the day that he had first met Daenerys, at her wedding.

"It was your horse, was it not? A gift from Khal Drogo?" Daenerys flinched at the name, before steeling her expression.

"It was only a horse. My people are more important. They need me to keep them fed and safe."

"Khaleesi..." Coren trailed off, before huffing and shaking his head. "Do not keep pushing your grief down because of what you believe other people need from you."

Daenerys turned to look up at him with furrowed eyebrows, opening her mouth to retort.

"I've seen what it's done to others before and it never ends well." Coren muttered, before watching her. "You know that if you want to talk to someone, I am here."

"I know-"

"And you should not feel guilty about doing so." Coren ignored the start of her protests. "I'd like to think that we are somewhat friends."

"We are, Coren." Daenerys sent him a soft smile. "If I need to talk about it, I will. But honestly, I am alright."

"If you insist." Coren nodded, before turning to look at the sky above them and the comet blazing across it. "Let us get camp set up quickly. That comet is a bad omen, if ever I saw one."

"Funny. Jorah said the same thing." Daenerys shook her head. "Men and their superstitions."

"What do you think it is then, Khaleesi?"

"A falling dragon." Daenerys smiled, shooting Coren a warm smile. "Or perhaps a sign from my ancestors that I am on the right path. Either way, it is something wreathed with flames so I believe it to be a good omen."

"If that is what you believe."

Hiya,

It's been a little bit but I've had a busy few weeks so you can have it now. All I have to say is that Coren is a sweetheart and Falkor and he are just really funny.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx