XVIII

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 | The Thirteen

{ Coren }

✧✦✧

𝕯aenerys paced up and down the length of her chambers, gnawing on her thumb. 

"Khaleesi." Coren caught her, sighing as he looked down at the bleeding skin, his own thumb brushing over it tenderly, though he stopped himself swiftly. "Sit. Let me heal this."

"I can not. Not whilst my dragons are missing." Daenerys whispered, bags beneath her eyes and hair a mess.

"I think the dragons would like it if you are not a skeleton of yourself." Coren urged her to a chair, sitting cross legged at her feet as he began to treat the irritated skin gently. "We will find them. Trust us."

"The guards were slaughtered, Irri was murdered. This was supposed to be safe, yet here we are, clearly not safe." Daenerys worried. "How can I guarantee to my people that all is well? How can I stand here and continue to pretend like staying here is beneficial for us?"

"I do not know." Coren was truly out of his depth, more so than ever before. "I am not a politician, or a knight, or the hand of the queen. I've had no formal training, or education. We are the same, Khaleesi. We are both trying our best to do our job well, and that is all we can do."

Daenerys looked down at him, violet eyes wide. 

"You have to do what you feel is right. If you wish to stay and fight for your dragons, then we will do so." Coren nodded. "If you decide we should leave, then we will do so."

"I am not leaving them."

"Then we stay." Coren nodded. "See, that problem is decided and look...your hand is all patched up."

Daenerys looked down at her hand, finding her thumb bandaged tightly to prevent her from picking at the skin. Coren squeezed her hand gently, smiling up at her as Daenerys softened, returning his smile half-heartedly.

"Come, Khaleesi. There is nothing more to do now apart from sleep and eat. We will do the rest tomorrow morning."

"I do not think I can sleep knowing that there is a murderer prowling through this place."

"Then I'll guard you whilst you sleep." Coren stated, standing up and stretching. "You will be comfortable, and I will be awake and protecting."

"You would do that?"

"For you? Of course." Coren bowed his head. "I'll be outside, Khaleesi, making sure no one harms you."

"Thank you." Daenerys smiled, before watching as he left the room, closing the door behind him.