XIV

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 | Qarth

{ Coren }

✧✦✧

𝕱our days of sun basking down on them had left Coren feeling exhausted. The last of his water had been given to one of the elders of the Khalasar yesterday, and Coren had been running on little sleep and food for far longer than he had thoughts he would.

Daenerys was slumped beside him, her eyes opening and closing slowly and Coren struggled to shake his head. Of all the ways he thought he'd die, this had not been one of them. There was nothing heroic about this death. In fact, it seemed rather pitiful.

So, Coren forced himself to live, even if it was by sheer spite, for as long as possible.

A ragged voice jolted him from his thoughts, and Coren found that he could recognise one word in the language they were speaking. Horse. There was a horse.

Opening his eyes, he brought a hand to his face to shield his eye as he watched the horse come to a stop beside Daenerys. The rider was one he knew, a familiar face, and one that seemed more happy than not.

He held out a leather skin, and Coren stood immediately as Kovarro began to speak. Daenerys nodded, before pausing and handing the pouch to Coren.

"Water."

"No, you should drink first." Coren protested, immediately stepping away as Daenerys offered it to him. She sighed, before grabbing onto his hand and placing the water in. Coren went to protest, but Daenerys was already turning away to talk to Kovarro again. He huffed, before opening it and sniffing suspiciously.

The run in with the wine mercher had not left Coren too trusting of drinking things handed to him.

But it did not smell suspicious, so Coren brought it to his lips and smiled at the feeling of cold water running down his throat. He tried not to take too much, knowing that there were others waiting around him.

Daenerys was still speaking, but she turned to look back at him and Jorah, who was hovering behind the teenager.

"What do you know of this place?" Daenerys cocked an eyebrow.

"What place?" Coren had not been paying attention.

"Qarth." Jorah muttered. "Only that the desert around their walls is called the Garden of Bones. Every time the Qartheen shut their gates on a traveller, the garden grows."

"You are so optimistic." Coren muttered beneath his breath, before handing the leather gourd back to Daenerys so she could drink. "It's a city and we'd be protected."