XXVI

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐈𝐗 | Bargaining

{ Coren }

✧✦✧

𝕿he first time that Coren saw Daenerys after they kissed, neither of them could look each other in the eyes. Coren could only hope that to all everyone else around them, no one could see their slightly flushed cheeks, or, if they did, they thought that perhaps the sun had burned the two pale Westerosi.

Coren had settled into his place on her right, muttering a quick 'Khaleesi' and bowing his head as he tried to ignore the way her eyes traced his face. When he looked up to her, she looked down and so, that was the game they would play.

They continued this game until they reached the walk of punishments, where both sobered up and tensed. A series of tortured slaves were bound to crucifixes that lined the walkway.

"The Walk of Punishment is a warning, Your Grace." Ser Barristan pointed out as Coren forced Jorah to stand behind Daenerys so that he could remain on her right.

"To whom?"

"To any slave who contemplates doing whatever these slavers did." Ser Barristan replied, as Daenerys held her hand out to Coren. He looked at it blankly for a moment, before placing his water skin into her hand. He knew that any sentence that he uttered, she would choose to ignore. Once she had set her mind to it, she had her way. 

Daenerys stepped up to one of the many bloodied slaves, offering him a drink, but he refused, turning his head away. She tried again, yet still, nothing.

"Leave this place, Your Grace. Leave tonight, I beg you." Jorah and Ser Barristan continued to argue behind the pair as Coren turned to Daenerys, fighting down a blush. 

"Khaleesi..." He helped her down, as she looked at the man.

"I do not understand, he will not drink..."

"He is most likely worried that he will be punished more if he does." Coren pointed out, before both of them realised that he was still holding her hand, looking away from each other and blushing bright red as they did.

"Khaleesi, you must have blood on your hands if you dream of reclaiming the Iron Throne."

"The blood of my enemies, not the blood of innocents." Daenerys snapped back as they continued to walk.

"How many wars have you fought in, Ser Barristan?" Ser Jorah questioned.

"Three." 

"Have you ever seen a war where innocents didn't die by the thousands?" Jorah questioned once more as the older man shook his head. Coren could sense a lecture coming on, in fact, he could feel it in his bones and it had him rolling his eyes at the thought of it. "I was in King's Landing after the sack, Khaleesi. You know what I saw? Butchery. Babies, children, old men. More women raped than you can count. There's a beast in every man and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand. But the Unsullied are not men. They do not rape. They do not put cities to the sword unless they're ordered to do so. If you buy them, the only men they'll kill are those you want dead."