XXV

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄 | Repercussions

{ Coren }

✧✦✧

𝕱or being an intelligent man, Coren had to admit that Daenerys kissing him had struck him dumb. They had kissed, before she'd excused him and both had left with the same red faces and wide eyed expression, neither knowing what to do.

Now, the next morning, Coren was sat with Falkor a little outside of their camp, stroking the larger dragon's head as he tried to process his thoughts and thinking. It was of little secret that he had always found Daenerys attractive and most who knew him could tell how much Coren revered the woman from one look at his face, but he had never acted on it. Firstly, she'd had her choice stripped from her time and time again and Coren never wanted to be the person to put her into the position of a bad choice. Secondly, she was Daenerys Targaryen and he was nothing but a Thorne, who had no social standing or house to go back to. Thirdly, he was her guard who swore to protect her.

Falkor huffed, leaning further into Coren's side. He was now about the size of a large dog, or small pony, baby scales starting to moult into a deep, dark red that reminded Coren of blood. His golden eyes flashed for a moment, molten in the morning sun as Coren scratched near the top of his head, huffing to himself once more.

"Coren!" There was a call of his name and Falkor growled, standing up to puff smoke at whoever approached. Coren turned, before patting Falkor's flank. "I wish you'd tell him not to do that."

"Jorah." Coren did not want to tell Jorah that Daenerys had kissed him because then all of Jorah's worries, all of his warnings, would be true and Coren would find his head on a pike somewhere for kissing the heir to the Iron Throne. 

"New sword?"

"You did not notice?" Coren turned to Jorah. "I've had it since the House of the Undying."

"Can I see?" Coren nodded, pulling the blade loose and handing it over to the man. The older knight examined the blade, taking in the pommel and the sharpness of the steel. "I have not seen a sword like this in a while. It is an old make, an old style."

"It is a family sword, of the Thorne house." Coren explained, leaning onto his knees as he watched the man. Jorah hummed, before handing it back to the young man. "Before this, before you came to Essos, you were married, weren't you?"

"Aye."

"What happened to her?"

"Lynesse became the concubine for a merchant when I could not provide for her. Then I travelled, and picked up a stray boy instead."