III

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 |The Dragon Prince

{ Coren }

✧✦✧

𝕿he scorching heat had never truly agreed with Coren, and now it was even worse than normal. He took another sip of his water, before catching back up to Daenerys' side as he longed for the shade once more.

Despite Jorah having told him to not speak to the young Khaleesi, Coren was ignoring all of the rules so that he was able to answer the questions that she had for him. All the while, he was resolutely ignoring Jorah's murderous glare that was aimed at his head.

There was a pause in the conversation as Daenerys glanced back along the line at the others in the hoard, before turning back to look at the grass on either side of her.

"Do the Dothrakis buy their slaves?" Coren glanced up at Daenerys' words, huffing and crinkling his eyebrows. He rested a hand on his leg, drumming his fingers.

"I don't think so." Coren replied, before trying to rack his memory for any thought about what they did, scratching his dark hair as he did. "Most of the slaves are gifts, I believe."

"From whom?"

"If you rule a city and you see the hoard approaching, you have two choices; pay tribute or fight. An easy choice for most." Jorah had appeared on the other side of Daenerys, his face set into a frown. Coren ignored the look, rolling his eyes and facing the grasslands on either side of them. "Of course, sometimes it's not enough. Sometimes a Khal feels insulted by the number of slaves he's given. He might think the men too weak or the women too ugly. Sometimes a Khal decides his riders haven't had a good fight in months and need the practice."

There was a pause, before Coren noticed that Daenerys had pulled her horse to a stop. He glanced over his shoulder.

"Tell them all to stop." Coren wheeled back around to face her, raising an eyebrow in confusion at the statement.

"You want the entire hoard to stop? For how long?" Jorah looked confused as well, the two Westerosi warriors sharing a glance. It was a bizarre command, to be sure.

"Until I command them otherwise." The bear man bowed his head, before turning his horse around to gallop towards the Khal, who rode at the front of the hoard with his blood riders, leaving Coren and Daenerys alone.

"You're learning to talk like a queen." Daenerys glanced back at Coren, as she dismounted her horse. Coren followed suit as the teenager began to walk off of the track and into the fields of grass.

"Not a queen, a Khaleesi." Daenerys corrected the man with a smirk, causing Coren to bow his head in apology. She nodded, before turning to look up at the sound of a horse coming crashing through the grass.

Viserys appeared in the clearing, wielding a sword which he pointed at Daenerys' throat, rage clear in his eyes. 

"You dare! You give commands to me? To me? You do not command the dragon." Viserys cried, as Coren's entire face dropped into a scowl at the sight of the git. The man sounded like a petulant toddler. "I am Lord of the Seven Kingdoms. I don't take orders from savages or their sluts. Do you hear me?"

His anger grew as Viserys spoke. Stepping forward, Coren batted the sword away from Daenerys with his armoured gauntlet, standing in front of the woman. He began to draw his own sword, a warning clear on his face. Should it come down to a fight, it was clear that Coren would be the victor.

"How dare you?" Viserys cried, eyes somehow going wider than before. A whip cracked around Viserys' throat and yanked him off the back of his horse. One of the Dothraki, a man named Rakharo, stood over him as Daenerys' handmaid, Irri, ran to the young khaleesi. 

Coren smirked at the man, both knowing one and other well enough to be considered friends. Rakharo spat something in Dothraki, that caused Coren's malicious grin to grow even wider.

"Rakharo asks if you want him dead, Khaleesi." Irri replied, as Coren pointed his own sword at the man's throat. He would be more than happy to carry out that job for the younger Targaryen.

"No!" Daenerys looked at Coren and Rakharo's cold faces, as they both glared down at the whimpering princeling. Some king he would be if he couldn't even keep his cool against two warriors.

"You should take an ear, teach him some respect." Coren said, turning to look at the white-haired woman. Daenerys shook her head vehemently as Jorah thundered into the clearing and took stock of the situation.

"Please, do not hurt him. Coren!" Daenerys cried, as the dark haired man reluctantly sheathed his sword and backed away with a snarl marring his face. He had really wanted to hurt the whimpering prat. "Tell Rakharo that I do not want my brother harmed."

Rakharo and Coren shared another annoyed glance, before the Dothraki warrior released the grip that he was keeping on the whip and Viserys was freed. He gasped for air as Coren retreated back to Daenerys' side, the dark glare still plastered on his face.

"Kill these Dothraki dogs and that traitorous bastard!" Viserys shouted as Jorah, as Coren glared and began to try and draw his own sword to strike the viscous prince down once more. Jorah didn't move. "I am your king!"

"Prick." Coren murmured in Dothraki, causing Rakharo to grin at the man's words. Whilst it was true that Coren didn't know much Dothraki, he was well versed in the curse words of the language. "Shall we return to the Khalasar, Khaleesi?"

Daenerys nodded, as Coren walked behind her and Irri to the hoard once more. 

Coren vaulted back onto his horse, before wheeling back around as he heard Khal Drogo call for him.

"What happened?" Coren paused, trying to think of the right words to say.

"Brother...tried to harm Khaleesi." Coren's knowledge of the rest of the Dothraki language was passable, but far from fluent. "Khaleesi did not...what is that word? Um...want him punished?"

Drogo nodded at Coren's broken Dothraki, before beginning to speak again.

"Protect her and if he tries again, remove a hand." Drogo growled, causing Coren to nod in understanding, as he wheeled back around to the Khaleesi. He would be more than happy to do such a thing.

Hiya,

So Coren just generally doesn't like Viserys, but who does, and italics in the main bulk of the chapter just means Dothraki is being spoken. I honestly just love Coren's hatred for the man.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx