XXIX

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄 | Yunkai

{ Daenerys }

✧✦✧

𝕬rid, rocky conditions had surrounded them for seemingly eternity whilst on the road. It was dusty, warm but there was a sharp wind that seemed to yank at their clothes and pull them down into ravines and crevices. The desert wanted blood and they were trying to get it however ways they could. Ahead of them, a large, impressive city lay nestled between mountains, and Daenerys huffed.

"Stop thinking so deeply. We can deal with it." Coren's presence appeared beside her, reassuring her softly with his voice as she tilted to look at him. He was watching the city with narrowed eyes, before humming and twisting towards her with a grin. It was that similar, familiar grin that he'd always shot at her, and it settled her nerves quicky in a way that had her stomach twisting. "Dragons and Unsullied. Easy."

"Easy." Daenerys nodded, before smiling at the man.

"Yunkai. The Yellow City." Jorah appeared, shooting Coren a glare over the top of Daenerys' head as the younger man rolled his eyes. Daenerys caught the eye roll, wondering what was going on between the pair. As of late, the pair had started to be at each other's throats and she was worried that if it did not sort itself out soon, they would fight.

"The Yunkish train bed slaves, not soldiers. We can defeat them." Ser Barristan and Grey Worm had joined them, all watching the city as Daenerys hummed.

"On the field, with ease. But they won't meet us on the field." Jorah shut that down quickly as Daenerys listened. "They have provisions, patience, and strong walls. If they're wise, they'll hide behind those walls and chip away at us, man by man."

Daenerys thought about it, before sighing.

"I do not want half my army killed before I've crossed the Narrow Sea." 

"We do need them on the other side." Coren agreed.

"We don't need Yunkai, Khaleesi." Jorah agreed, turning to face her as Daenerys watched him. "Taking this city will not bring you any closer to Westeros or the Iron Throne."

"How many slaves are there in Yunkai?" Daenerys' brain started to whir. Yes, the smart option would be to leave the city but then, would her conscious be weighing on her if she did not at least try and see whether there was anything she could do to help in this situation. She had the army, the dragons and the ability to try and help them if they wished her to. 

"Two hundred thousand if not more." Jorah pointed out and Daenerys' mind was made up.

"Then we have two hundred thousand reasons to take the city." She turned to Grey Worm. "Send a man to the city gates. Tell the slavers I will receive them here, and accept their surrender. Otherwise, Yunkai will suffer the same fate as Astapor."