VI

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗 | Poison chalice

{ Coren }

✧✦✧

𝕿he heat was sweltering, more so than normal. Coren was steadily turning more and more red beneath his armour, a bead of sweat dripping down the side of his face. He still couldn't quite understand how Jorah managed to walk, talk and function in a dull suit of armour, when he was barely with it in his measly chainmail.

Daenerys appeared from her tent, looking slightly cross, with her handmaids and a blood rider following behind as they began towards the market place of Vaes Dothrak.

"Khal Drogo doesn't want to cross the sea," Jorah nodded at Daenerys' words, as Coren looked around and thought about the cold temperatures that he was born into, and how much he would prefer it. "Can't you help me make him understand?"

"I don't particularly want to die this young," Coren muttered, shrugging his shoulders. "I have my whole life ahead of me."

"The Dothraki do things in their own time, for their own reasons." Jorah smiled down at her, as Coren wiped the sweat from his brow and took a sip of water. "Have patience, Khaleesi. We will go home, I promise you."

"My brother was a fool..."

"That's putting it mildly," Jorah turned his dark glare onto Coren, who raised his hands in apology.

"He was the rightful heir to the Seven Kingdoms though. Have I said something funny, Ser?" Daenerys raised an unamused eyebrow at Jorah's chuckling.

"Forgive me, Khaleesi," Jorah smiled patiently down at her, "but your ancestor Aegon the Conqueror didn't seize six of the kingdoms because they were his right. He had no right to them. He seized them because he could."

"And having dragons definitely helped," Coren added on, grinning at the Khaleesi. He'd been in a much happier mood ever since Viserys was killed. The new found freedom from the princeling's whining was proving to do wonders for Coren's temper control.

"You don't believe it." Daenerys had turned to face Jorah's sceptical face.

"Have you ever seen a dragon, Khaleesi? I believe what my eyes and ears report," Jorah shook his head with a smile, similar to one that you had on when you told a child that giants and white walkers were a myth. "As for the rest, it was 300 years ago. Who knows what really happened? Now, if you'll pardon me, I'll seek out the merchant Captain, see if he has any letters for me."

Jorah stomped off, as Coren snorted.

"Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it's not real," Daenerys looked at him, as Coren continued on. "I can't see sea monsters, but I know they're real."

Daenerys giggled at Coren's words, as he raised an eyebrow at her.

"What? I'm telling the truth," She laughed even more, as they continued further into the market. "When I came over from Westeros, we sailed with another ship and one day, that ship mysteriously sank for no reason. It was a sea monster. I know it."

"Of course it was, Ser Coren," Coren scowled, as his ears perked up to the sound of a wine merchant calling in the distance. 

"I've told you before, I am no Ser," The shouting of the wine merchant in Dothraki got louder and louder as they drew closer to the stall. Coren tilted his head, catching the basic gist of what was being said. It had no swear words in it, so he didn't understand it fully.

"My son already has his name, but I'll try your summer wine. Just a taste," Coren looked back at Daenerys and shook his head. That was not a smart idea.

"My lady, you are from Westeros?" The wine merchant beamed even brighter, and Coren reached for his dagger. Something about this entire meeting seemed strange to him. What was their luck that they'd find a wine merchant who could speak the Common Tongue in Vaes Dothrak?

"You have the honour of addressing Daenerys of the House Targaryen. Khaleesi of the riding men and Princess of the Seven Kingdoms," Doreah, one of Daenerys' many handmaidens began. The wine merchant dropped into a low bow.

"Princess,"

"Rise. I'd still like to taste that wine," Coren tried to bore holes into Daenerys' head. She turned as the wine merchant prattled on about Arbor, before tilting her head as Coren started to shake his. "You honour me, Ser."

"The honour...the honour is all mine," Coren kissed his teeth, before starting to speak.

"Khaleesi, I don't think that this is such a good idea considering you are pregnant," Daenerys raised an eyebrow at him. "Perhaps another time."

She opened her mouth to protest, as Coren shared a look with Rakharo.

"Definitely another time," Coren continued as Rakharo's eyes narrowed, before he seemed to catch on. "Why don't we go and check out the food stalls over there. You told me that you were craving pecan nuts."

"Coren, I did..." Coren placed a hand on Daenerys' arm and began to lead her away. "What are you doing?"

"Saving your life," He rolled his eyes, as the wine merchant called out for them again.

"Many in your homeland that pray for your return, princess," Daenerys stopped, causing Coren to scowl. "Allow us to have a toast to celebrate your imminent return home."

"Sure, after you," The wine merchant faltered as Coren turned around. "We should have a toast, but it would be a crime not to let the purveyor of the wine first taste it to make sure that it is absolutely perfect for the Khaleesi. What say you?"

"Well, I..."

"I think that's a good idea, Ser," Daenerys looked between the now sweating merchant and her personal guard as she spoke. The wine merchant gulped again and opened the casket, pouring some of the wine into before holding the cup out to Coren.

"Sweet, isn't it? Can you smell the fruit, Ser?" The merchant was trembling, as Coren smiled. It didn't meet his eyes. "Taste it, my Lord. Tell me that is not the finest wine that has ever touched your tongue."

"After you," Coren repeated again. The wine merchant continued to tremble, shaking his head as he laughed, shakily.

"Me? I'm afraid I am not worthy of the vintage," The wine merchant glanced behind Coren at Daenerys and gulped again. "Besides, it is a poor wine merchant who would drink up his own wares."

"Well, you're just making sure that it's perfect. We will not hold it against you. Drink." Coren growled. The wine merchant continued to hesitate.

"You will drink," Daenerys hissed, as the wine merchant placed his lips on the cup, before dropping it and trying to flee. Coren laughed, excited for a chase, before sprinting after him and barrelling into the man, sending both of them to the ground.

"You were a fool to even think of running." Rakharo appeared beside Coren, grabbing the wine merchant from Coren's grasp, as he wandered back over to Daenerys side. "I think are little trip to the market might need to be cut short, Khaleesi. The Kahl will want to hear about this."

Hiya,

Coren brings me great joy. I love writing for him because he is just generally a very chaotic person, who believes sea monsters are real. What a guy.

Anyhow, let me know what you think,

Love Li xx