XI

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 | Pyres

{ Daenerys }

✧✦✧

𝕯aenerys did not know for how long she had been asleep. Every muscle in her body ached, protesting against her movements as she opened her eyes slowly. Above her was the familiar canvas covering of a yurt hut, though it was more bare than the one that she was used to. Beside her, Coren was sitting, his head bowed until it almost touched his knees.

"Coren..." The man's head snapped up, brown eyes wide as he grabbed a flask from beside him. Carefully, he helped her up, letting her sip at the water. "What...?"

"Gently. Do not strain yourself." Coren muttered, as Daenerys gulped down the water. She rested her hand on her stomach, before pausing. There was no swell to her belly, and her eyes went wide with fear. 

"My son, where is he?" She turned to Coren, tears forming in her eyes as she did not hear the sound of a baby's wail. "I want him. Where is he?"

Coren stumbled over his words for a moment, before sighing. She sent him another pleading look, tears forming in her eyes.

"The boy did not live, Khaleesi."

"What?" Daenerys felt like her heart was cracking in her chest. This could not be true. "Tell me."

"Tell you?"

"How did my son die?" Daenerys demanded, taking in a long breath to try and keep her emotions in check. Coren must be lying. Maybe now he would laugh and tell her that it was all a cruel prank and her son was outside with a midwife, but deep down she knew that Coren would not make that sort of joke.

"He never lived, Khaleesi." Coren shook his head, looking back down at the floor. "The women say-"

"What do the women say?" Daenerys demanded, anger growing in her chest.

"They say the child was..." Coren trailed off, shaking his head. He didn't want to tell her, but Daenerys had to know. This was her son! "The child was..."

"Monstrous. Twisted. I pulled him out myself." Mirri Maz Duur stood in the doorway, as Coren's glare grew, his face twisting into an anger that Daenerys had not seen before. "He was scaled like a lizard, blind, with leather wings like the wings of a bat. When I touched him the skin fell from his bones..."

"That's enough, witch." Coren spat, standing up and starting to draw a dagger. "Take another step closer and I will remove your hands, like I promised to do earlier."

"Coren." Daenerys grabbed onto his arm, trying to pull herself to her feet, though her muscles trembled. "Where is Khal Drogo? Take me to him. Show me what I bought with my son's life."