XVI

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 | Promises

{ Daenerys }

✧✦✧

𝖃aro's offer had been plaguing Daenerys' mind for most of the night, keeping her awake into the early hours of the morning. Now, the next day, she found that it still sat in the back of her brain, teating her, even as she waited to speak to the Spice King. She turned, pacing back the way she came as Kovarro and Coren watched her carefully, their eyes tracing her every mood.

"He should not make me wait." She muttered, shaking her head in annoyance. Lack of sleep and annoyance at the situation was making her angry.

"The Spice King is the second wealthiest man in Qarth. He makes everyone wait." Xaro's voice sounded from behind her. "Of course, you could have avoided this embarrassment if you married the wealthiest man in Qarth."

Xaro was persistent with his idea that Daenerys should marry him, but the teenager did not like the thought of that.

"I already have a husband." She replied curtly, wishing that the man would stop talking about it. She could feel a head ache coming on and all she wanted was to go lie down, or talk this through with her advisors. She turned, finding that Coren had stepped closer, a reassuring look on his face.

"Khal Drogo is gone, Khaleesi." She tensed again. Only her Dothraki, Coren and Jorah could call her that. "You are far too young to be a widow forever and far too beautiful."

"And you are far too smart to think that I will succumb to flattery." If Xaro was paying attention to her curt tone then he did not show it. In fact, he continued to speak on in such a manner as Daenerys prayed for the Spice King to arrive far faster.

"I have travelled very far in my life and met many women, but none that are immune to flattery." Coren seemed to snort in amusement behind her, before the sound of footsteps alerted the small group to someone else's presence.

"The Mother of Dragons!" The Spice King was descending from the top of a long marble staircase, followed by his entourage.

"Ah, here he comes." Coren and Kovarro stepped closer to Daenerys' side, their faces cold as they watched the Spice King.

"Forgive me. I had terrible dreams last night. Terrible dreams. I could not sleep until the sun was shining and the birds were singing." Daenerys knew that feeling well, for she also struggled to sleep. "Look what a beauty you are now the Red Waste has been washed off you. I am sorry about all that unpleasantness. The silver hair of a true Targaryen. Xaro Xhoan Daxos, she is far too lovely for a glorified dockworker like yourself."