seventeen: the price of life

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐊 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐒𝐎 𝐌𝐔𝐂𝐇 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐑𝐄𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐁𝐎𝐘."

Daisuke's mother, Lady Naomi held Kiyomi's and Hoshi's hands with tears in her eyes, Inari and Hayase glanced at each other as they stood there awkwardly. "We really thought--"

"Words cannot explain how grateful we are that you've returned our son home without a single scratch." His father, Lord Mizu put a hand on his wife's shoulder and pulled Daisuke closer to him with a wide grin. Daisuke's eyes once glued to the floor looked at the group and he smiled quickly and then looked down, he was still traumatized from what happened to him and Inari.

"We are very glad that we returned him back to you." Kiyomi bowed at a 90 degree angle and so did Hayase and Hoshi, Inari could only bend so far before she winced and held onto her stomach, Hayase noticed and put a hand on her shoulder.

Inari's mind was somewhere else. When Daisuke told her about the alleged underground trafficking ring, she could only imagine what is happening down there. Out of everyone, why Akane? She didn't deserve that at all.

 Akane was an amazing mentor, grandma, mother, and friend. But they don't care. Her eyes are what mattered, the blood that ran through her veins mattered. She gave her life to protect her village, and to show for it--her eyes being put on sale. 

Is that all Inari was? A label with a price on it. 

They left the Estate and started packing up before heading back home, Inari leaned over to pick up her bag but a flash of pain hit her and she winced and closed her eyes shut. Hayase noticed and picked up her bag and helped her up, "I'm fine." Inari pushed him away a bit and took her bag, she moved a few strands of hair away from her face and sighed softly.

Hayase looked at her with sad eyes, she is pushing people away again.

Inari bit her bottom lip and rubbed her eyes, she realized a tear slid down her cheek. She hated that feeling.

Vulnerability.

It reminded her that there are people out there that want to heart her and her clan for their body parts. She wondered how she could protect them, wondering how she could make it so no other Akashi was trafficked.

Her red eyes drifted towards the ground, clouded in dissatisfaction. She was able to save Daisuke, but she couldn't save Akane. Inari made a promise at the Ceremony all those years ago, promising that she would protect her clan. But she failed.