twenty-seven: a failure, always

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"𝐎𝐔𝐂𝐇..."

Inari winced, she looked at her bandaged hand and shook it. The day before, at Hayase's place, she accidentally burnt her hand while making eggs. Luckily his mother, who was a former swords maker somehow had good medical experience.

Today, she was visiting Hinata at the Hyuga mansion before the Final begins in a few days. She just wanted to check up on her friend and she how she was coming along, after the incident. Inari has been training ever since her hospital visit but it's been more and more difficult, for some reason—she felt more weaker; like her limbs gone soft or an illness came up and affected her mobility skills, but who knows.

All she's been feeling is hurt and frustration—not the hurt because of her hand, the hurt because Hanami promised she would be there to watch Inari win the Chunin Exam. Frustration because of how weak she feels, maybe mentally—physically, or both, but she felt as if she failed something she never even needed to succeed in.

"Does your hand still hurt?" The timid Hyuga girl asked in almost a whisper while leaning closer to examine her hand. In response, the red eyed girl moved her hand to her chest and shook her head, "It's nothing. I'm fine." She responding reassuringly, Hinata paused momentarily and then sighed before taking a short sip of green tea from her cup.

Inari's lips touched the crown of the small cup and before she took a sip she stopped and set the cup down, "Do you really believe what Neji said?" She asked out of the blue, her eyes not leaving the ground.

Hinata set the cup down gently, "That I'm a failure? And that I'll never fulfill my destiny to the Hyuga clan?" To Inari's surprise, a small laugh escaped from Hinata's lips, "That's basically what he told me so yes, I believe what he said. He's right after all."

Her head tilted slightly but she didn't respond, she didn't know what to say at that moment. Inari just started to pick at her bandages silently.

The two girls sat in silence for a while, "How'd you... How'd you hurt your hand?" Hinata asked in a quiet voice, Inari raised her eyebrows slightly, she looked at her hand before turning to Hinata, "When I was at Hayase's, I burnt my hand on accident. But don't worry, my hand is fine."

Inari glanced at the ceiling and closed her eyes, "Ever since I woke up at the hospital after the Preliminaries. There's been something off in the air... I don't know why but I feel weaker for some reason. More tired, I guess but I've been training everyday."

Hinata got up and sat next to Inari, she looked at her and smiled a bit, "It just sounds like you need a break. You have so much stuff on your plate. Being a Pure Daughter and a young kunoichi... that sounds tiring." Inari simply shook her head, "I need to be on top of everything. No excuse. I have to be what everyone wants me to be. Everything I do, I do it perfectly. And if I don't...I work to do it perfectly. I cannot fail—I cannot stop. I won't."