17. Preliminaries

The remaining genin were all in 3 single filed rows. All of them looking ahead to see Lord 3rd standing infront of them, Jonin-sensei's to his left, right, and behind him.

They were now in the final room of the Chunin Exams, a giant training area with a large statue in the middle of it. Railings above so teams could watch the matches commence.

"First of all congratulations on finishing the second exam." Anko starts. "Alright, now pay attention! Lord Hokage is going to explain the third exam to you! You better listen carefully, maggots." she shouts while turning her attention towards Lord 3rd.

"Lord Hokage, they're all yours."

The Hokage hmms in response while taking a few steps towards the genin, he clears his throat, "First, before I tell you what the third exam entails, I want to explain something about the test itself. Listen closely, it's something all of you need to understand."

The Genin listen in.

"I'm going to tell you the true purpose of these exams. Why do you suppose our country holds theses exams in conjunction with our allies?" he asks while shifting his hat.

None of them answer.

"To raise the ability levels of the shinobi, and increase friendship between allied nations. But it's important that you understand it's true meaning, the exams are so to speak... a representation of the battle between nations." he finishes while puffing on his pipe.

"Now, if we look at our history, all the countries that we're currently allied with, were once neighboring nations that continuously fought with each other for power. In order to avoid destroying each other's military strength meaninglessly, those nations picked champions to do battle on their behalf of their countries, that is how the Chunin Exams originally began." he explained.

He then goes on to also explain how important the Chunin Exams actually are, making the Genin understand how in depth the exam actually goes.

He finishes answering the Genin's questions, now moving on to the final explanation.

"Now listen closely, I'm going to tell you exactly what you'll be doing on the third exam." he says with a cough.

Out of nowhere a jonin bodyflickers infront of the Hokage, immediately kneeling as a sign of respect.

"Lord Hokage before you do, please allow me, Hayate Gekko, appointed as proctor of the third exam, to speak first." he says with his head down.

The Hokage allows it.

Hayate gets back on his feet, "It's nice to meet you all." he says with his back towards the genin, starting to cough while turning his head at the direction of the candidates, "There's something I'd like for you all to do before the third exams."

He continues coughing, now facing the group, "Uhh we have to have a preliminary exam before we can move on to the real one." he explains, making the genin gasp.

"Preliminary?! Just what do you mean by that?!" Shikamaru shouts at the proctor.

"Uhh... well you see, the first and second exams might've been too easy. The fact is we've never expected so many of you to still be here. According to the rules of the Chunin Exam, a preliminary can be held at any stage in order to reduce the number of candidates remaining." he explains.

"But- Is that fair?" Sakura asks with worry.

"It's just that at this stage we have to speed things up a bit. As Lord Hokage said, a lot of important guests will be watching. We can't afford to waste their time. They've come to see only the best." Hayate pauses for a moment, "So if there are any of you who feel you're not in top physical condition, nows your chance to bow out. The preliminaries will be starting immediately."