🐺Chapter 1

The wolfsbane planted on the neighbourhood flowerbeds made Callisto sneeze loudly. The deep violet petals curved in a way to make the flower look like tiny grim reapers and for a lycanthrope, it really is a cause of death. She too was a lycanthrope but she hadn't yet shifted so the wolfsbane only affected her by giving her allergies. For a fully shifted wolf though, it is very toxic and causes a slow painful death if used directly. She scooted away from the deadly plant and wrapped her olive hued arms around the newspaper bundle tightly.

She walked across the too-neat grass lawn and planted a knock on the large wooden door. The door creaked open; a fair hand holding its edge appeared in front of her.

"Mrs. Blythe?" Callisto questioned as the chubby, red headed lady poked her sharp nose out at the sound of the familiar voice.

"Oh! It's you dear," the lady said cheerfully and smiled her contagious smile.

"Your nose is red dear," she said and went back into her abode to retrieve a tissue which was handed to Callisto who wiped her itchy nose and stuffed the tissue into the pocket of her overalls.

"It seems that Mrs. Blythe, the pollen of the flowers aren't agreeing with me," she lied and thanked the lady for the tissue paper. It was really the cause of the wolfsbane but Mrs. Blythe didn't need to know that.

"By the way, I came to deliver the daily newspaper."

"Ah yes. Here's the money for the paper and fifteen dollars as your tip," Mrs. Blythe said and waved the money in front of Callisto's face.

"Oh no, that's too much," she exclaimed.

"Nonsense," Mrs. Blythe replied and shoved the money into her hands and took the newspaper. She had asked Callisto to knock and hand her the paper rather than leave it on the doorstep like they usually do for the other people in the neighbourhood. It was because the next door dachshund always stole her newspaper to take to its owner. And the owner –a very cranky old woman – didn't mind at all, she doesn't even return it.

She thanked the generous lady and walked to her antique bicycle. The rusted body didn't stop it from working well and taking her where she wanted to be. Her reason for being punctual was her trusty bicycle.

"Twenty five papers delivered, five more to go," she said to herself while gently placing the money into the pocket that didn't have the tissue and rode off to go deliver the rest.

o------o

It was late morning by the time Callisto returned home. Her newspaper delivery shift started at four am and ended at six am but she spent the rest of the day strolling down the streets of the neighbourhood looking through the glass windows of shops: clothe and food shops to be precise.

A few dollars from her tip were spent on a basket of pastries. She carried them home but all the jelly filled croissants were now crumbs as she had eaten them. Fortunately, only she fancied them from her family. Her little brother attacked the lemon tarts once she presented it to him... literally.

"Stop behaving like a wolf!" she yelled.

"But we are wolves Calli!" Nico yelled back and looked at her with befuddled green eyes, his circular glasses uneven on the bridge of his nose.

"No, you are a ten year old gremlin. Besides, you have ages before you shift into a wolf."

"You are evil! Just because I'm ten doesn't mean I'm not a wolf and you are still seventeen so you haven't shifted either," he said and went back to devouring his favourite desert. Calli giggled and kissed him on the head.

"Touché," she said and paced into the kitchen where her father was. He sat on a creaky rocking chair – his bad leg resting on the coffee table –, coughing and drinking rum. She examined his state in worry and sat beside him on the bleached oak wood floor.

"Good morning Pa," she quietly said and looked up at him. When he didn't respond, she made a frown and stood to leave the room to take a shower. Her family didn't belong to a pack. After her great great great grandfather – Jasper Orpheus – left his pack, he decided to be a lone wolf. That was until he met his mate, Calli's great great great grandmother. Even though they got married and had children, he still didn't want to be part of a pack so his mate left hers for him. Calli never knew who her grandparent's packs were or why her grandfather left in the first place (Probably trouble with the alpha) but she knew that his children and their children were determined to carry on his legacy. Just like her father.

His choice to carry on the legacy didn't end well for him though. Their old neighbourhood which was full of non-werewolves had figured out that their family was a group of werewolves and humans being humans, they started a riot that resulted in his wife being killed and his right leg being badly lacerated by a silver pitchfork.

Thirteen year old Callisto had pleaded for him to join a pack, for their safety and mostly for the protection of Nico but he wouldn't budge. She had a vendetta against him for a while back then but it faded throughout the years, still lingering slightly. She still would love to join a pack.

He was now a very sick old man who doesn't care for his children. Calli decided to join in newspaper delivery to earn money to buy the groceries, clothes and to pay the bills. School wasn't a matter as it was a public school which was paid and facilitated for by the government. And yet, money was short so she had to sign up for two other jobs as well. On Sundays she was a newspaper delivery girl, on Saturdays a barista and on Fridays a waitress in a diner. As for laundry and chores, she and Nico shared the tasks and somehow always got them done without complains.

Today, after a long time, she carefully spent money on that basket of pastries. It's okay to please yourself sometimes right?

Their mother used to make pastries for them at home. Those precious days were missed by her children and they grieved her for years but now they've cried so much that the tears have drained out of them. Now the memories were the only thing they had of their mother.

They were currently in another neighbourhood which they had been in for about four years after the riot in the previous area which was why nobody suspected them for being "eerie". Some humans know that werewolves existed while the others didn't. But the people who did were sometimes loaded with wolfsbane and wore silver jewellery... lots of silver jewellery. Some went as far as plating their teeth silver though Calli wondered how that would prevent a werewolf attack. Unless you bite the werewolf before it bit you. Wouldn't that be something...

❆❆❆❆❆

HAHAHA! Well hello there my sweet compadres. 

Welcome to my world of stupidity and creativity. 

Okay and you can't convince me that wolfsbane flowers don't look like grim reapers.