🐺Chapter 23

They went over to the snack table, stopping a few times for Luca to talk to his pack members who had turned out to believe him about Astrid. They would do anything for the safety of their pack and would even disregard the commands of the alpha sometimes. Wolves forced to listen to the alpha through a magical bond is a myth. They listen because the alphas are basically royals and can kick out the pack members or kill them as they wish. And the protection from them is very important and is a necessity for werewolves.

"You look beautiful by the way," Luca whispered into Callisto's ear while Mark was retrieving his third cup of punch. She turned to face him; his face was inches away and his eyes were fixed upon hers. His brown hair fell onto his face in gentle waves and they looked so soft against his fair skin. She swore that she saw his gaze brush down to her lips before Mark rushed over to them and silently screamed that he saw Cana through the window of the gym with some girls but he wasn't sure if they were Astrid as he didn't know what she looked like. As much as she wanted to yell at Mark for ruining the moment and the almost kiss... she couldn't. Callisto bumped into the wall as panic flared inside her. The room was a blur and she felt a wave of dizziness wash over her as her legs wobbled.

"I – I need to get out," she breathed.

Luca suddenly came to her side and lifted her, running towards the back doors of the school, Mark closely following. Mark overtook them and threw open the double doors of the school exit and Luca let Callisto inhale deeply.

"You don't have to do this," Luca said gently, holding her hand while she squeezed the hell out of his. He didn't seem bothered at all and allowed Callisto to continue using his hand as a stress reliever.

Once she settled down, Luca proposed her and Mark to remain here while he went to scrutinize the coast to see if Cana and Astrid were close by.

"We can go back home you know?" Mark told her as the two of them sat with their backs facing the wall of the building.

"No. I can't. We don't know what would happen. I don't want anything to happen to Nico and Pa and you if they find out," Callisto started to tear up and she sobbed into her knees. Mark embraced her gently and she cried into his shoulder.