Part 3

It's been a couple weeks since Xina's return and school is starting to get at a pace where it's more work than just showing up. I sigh loudly as I try to put an outfit suitable enough to go to a book store.

Today Xina, Jonah, and me are going a book store in the city and I'm so excited. Just thinking about what I'll be able to buy gets me pumped.

I take out my dark wash mom jeans, my oversized blue and white horizontal striped sweater and pair it with my white converse. I put my hair into braids since I know the wind will probably just tangle it and make it frizzy.

Once my  jewelry is on, I grab my tote bag and make it down the stairs just as Xina texts me she's outside.

I approach her white jeep parked right in front of my house, I open the door and get in the back seat.

"Hey losers," I smile from cheek to cheek as I lean forward to pinch Xina's rosy ones. She scrunches her nose and swats my hand away.

I can see her smile though, small but there. Yeah she loves me, so she can suck a butt for acting like she doesn't.

I look to my left and spot Jonah in the front seat, looking out the window with a solemn look on his face. His hair is wet, a curly tendril falling over his eyes like he just got out the shower. He's snug in a sage and cream sweater and dark black jeans.

I resist the urge to sigh long and deep. Anything he wears just looks so put together. He could wear a garbage bag and look better than me.

I lean over to pluck out his earphone.

"Hey," I say, smiling.

He turns slowly, his eyes taking in my face. His eyes looking from my eyes to my lips.

"Hi," he says. His voice deep with sleep still.

I laugh, "You finally said hi to me," he stares at me blankly before looking away. It's a start I guess. I smile to myself, yeah it is.

I turn up the music as I hear the soft lull of the familiar sound of Taylor Swift.  Ahh I love my
mom.

"He's so tall and handsome as hell ..." I sing along as I catch sight of Jonah again, the lyrics matching up all too well. He's leaning his cheek on his palm, all restless and bored.

He's so bad but he does it so well .. my lips move in sync with the song as Jonah looks up at me through the mirror. His eyes gaging what I do, before he bites his lip as if trying to hide a smile.

I look away, my cheeks burning up. Get a grip Mila he just looked at you.

I fiddle with my rings as I look out the window. The city looks so pretty today, it's all bright and warm out.

I lean forward once I spot a bagel shop, I grip Xina's seat.

"Look over there," she looks startled as she looks to the left, I punch her arm softly. At least I try.

"Mila what the fuck?" She rubs her arm, I give her a sorry look but I'm really not.

"There was a punch buggy," I explain, pointing somewhere aimlessly.

She squints her eyes at me, "Was there really a punch buggy?" I purse my lips trying to hold back my laugh, but she sees and pinches my arm.

"Hey!" I say rubbing my arm, she sticks her tongue out and shakes her head at my antics. There really wasn't a punch buggy but I had seen one just not now.

I point in the direction of the bagel shop, "but there is a bagel shop, turn there." She nods in agreement.

We get out, and walk toward the bagel shop. I grip my tote tighter to my arm, trying to resist the urge to skip. Bagels just make me so happy.