dark academia 3

Interestingly enough, Will's house is close to the campus, and we all realize the guy has it a lot better than we first expected. 

It's a big grey stone house, with a driveway and gates and all the bells and whistles. A double garage to the side with the house towering above it, and us. It's two stories tall, with huge bay windows and pristine flower beds around the lower windows. It's surrounded by trees, and Tilly makes a joke under her breath that it's "to keep the poor people out". It's one of those houses that was built by the university in honor of so-and-so. So-and-so in this case is Will's own family. Apparently his family goes way back, and apparently, every single one of his relatives has gone to the same university for generations. 

His dad brings us to the dining room, a spacious area next to the kitchen, where a woman is cooking something on the stove. I was ready to ask if it might be a maid when Will's dad goes over and kisses the woman on the cheek, holding her close. 

His wife. 

"Your family's fucking perfect, isn't it." Mars remarks, looking to be on the same page as me. Will gives a dark look. 

"Funny. That's actually his third wife."

"Which one's your mom?" Mars has the audacity to ask.

"The second one." Will tells her, his jaw tight. 

Mars shoots him a sarcastic smile and shoves his head back into his textbook. 

You have to give the parents some credit. Will's stepmom feeds us and asks if we need help with anything, though Will insists it's just her insatiable need to live up to her Catholic 50s housewife standards. 

"Where's Pippa again?" he tacks on at the end. 

"With Max I think," Charlotte responds, tapping her pencil against her book. 

"She was supposed to go over the application process with me tonight. The interviews are in like, a week. 

"It's only 5...there's still time," Charlotte tries to reason. 

"Whatever." Will mutters.