Chapter 14

Carter's POV

That

Smells

Sofa-king good!!!

I tore the bed sheets off of my body and threw on a pair of socks. I have on a white oversized T-shirt but it covers just enough.

My messy bun was surprisingly in tact and I actually look pretty decent on a Monday- afternoon!

I can smell the grilled chicken from here- I bet mom is making her grilled panini's..

I raced down the stairs and zoomed into the bathroom and shut the door. This was not a drill as I brushed my teeth- with baking soda.. I'm not going to be stupid and use mint toothpaste to turn around and mess up the flavored essence of my mother's cooking.

Casually, I opened the door prepared to take on the world- sandwich- same thing.

"Rise and shine sleepy head!" My mom exclaimed as she was cooking and-

"Aren't you just adorable," her voice sent chills down my spine...

"I- thank you..." I could feel all sorts of emotions spiral out of control just acknowledging the fact that Ms. Arturo is here right now...

"Oh- I'm so sorry Carter. I knocked on your door to try and tell you but you were snoring to no tomorrow and-

"Mom!!" I whined.

"I'm not over exaggerating either young lady, you literally snored for the remainder of the night," she flipped one side of her grilled sandwich.

"Mommmm!" I groaned and Ms. Arturo hid her smile as she sipped a glass of orange juice.

"Oh- sorry... as I was saying, Eleanora's having lunch while your father is out. Best behavior please," my mom kindly requested.

"Carter's a bad kid?" Ms. Arturo's eyes widen with a small smirk.

I could feel my entire body get hot and my cheeks were burning.

"N-no?!" I panicked.

"Was that a question or a statement?" Ms. Arturo arched her brow and I almost fainted.

"Carter don't just stand there like an awkward twig, sit down and let me fix you a plate. I've made enough," she points her spatula at a stool next to Ms. Arturo at the counter...

I gulped big time as I approached my conductor more and more. Each step closer burned more and more.

The second I sat down, Eleanora casually rests her hand on my thigh and I hitched a breath..

"How are we feeling? Nothing is sore? No pain I hope," her dark brown eyes searched in my eyes and her hand travels to my left forearm.

"I- I'm okay," I was failing so hard to play this off.

"Just don't over work yourself this week. You scared me yesterday," her eyes burned into mine.

"It's not like I fainted or anything," I shrugged yesterday's events off. It was really not that big of a deal, I enjoyed the hard work.

"Still, me and Eleanora got done speaking that you're not to be at the piano for today or tomorrow," my mom handed me the plate I've been waiting for.

I got up happily and was getting ready to leave the room until my mom clicked her tongue.

"Keep Eleanora company while I go change, I got avacado all over my denims. Be a good hostess," my mom tossed her hand towel in the sink before heading up stairs.

I turned to face Ms. Arturo as her head rested in her hand looking deeply into me...

"...." I don't know what the fuck to say.

"You're not going to eat?" She broke the silence.

"I- mean- I was- but then my mom said she'd back," I fiddled with my class ring.

"You should still eat something, it's essential," she encouraged me but deep down I didn't want to eat anymore, I wasn't hungry.

"I should be practicing and that's essential, but I can't do that for the next 48hrs," I sighed. This is worse than being grounded- and I've never been grounded..

"Is that all you care about?" She giggled before taking a few chips from my plate and eats them...

"Yes? Was that a trick question? You are my conductor," I was confused on why she would dare ask me such a thing after the way she acted yesterday because those kids didn't practice either..

"Is there anything- anything at all that you do for fun? Besides practicing," she laughed.

"Um- no. Music is literally my favorite thing to spend my time with," I looked at her square in the eyes.

"And nothing else?" She wasn't as serious but I can still tell my responses still hold meaning to her.

I didn't answer.. I'm catching on now, she wants to talk to me and I still don't want to..

"Can I excuse myself?" I changed the subject and Ms. Arturo's eyes flickered.

"Carter, I just want to talk," her voice was soft.

"I see that and I don't want to. You're using yesterday as an excuse to talk to me when we both know I don't want to talk at all about Friday," I turned away from her.

She spun my chair back around to face her and she lifted my chin, "i want to talk about yesterday and Friday. You don't want me as your mentor?" She tilted her head and she looked hurt.

"I- I don't think it's a good idea- I don't think this is a good idea. You were so upset that day and then you yelled at me- and then the way you looked at me when I-

"Okay, what did I miss?" My mom enters the room.

"Ms. Arturo thinks I should give another go at the mentoring," I flinched away from Ms. Arturo and grabbed my plate.

"And?..." my mom was waiting on another response. This is just so always right now.

"My thoughts are still the same," I got up.

"Well, I'm not accepting that as my answer until you can look me in the eyes and tell me you don't want to have me as a mentor," I could hear a little bass in her voice...

she's really something.

"I don't want to have a mentor in general, Can I go to my room please?" I looked at her and then my mom...

Damnit- I looked at her lips... I'm still stuck on what happened Friday.

"Carter Cammery, you better not touch that piano or I will drag that thing downstairs myself. And take Eleanora with you, this is obviously something that needs be talked in private between you two," my mom shooed me off..

"I won't," I assured her that I have no intent of practicing and turned away..

My pulse is racing as I hear footsteps that weren't mine lingering away from me. I guided Ms. Arturo up the attic and the tension was killing me..

"...and here we have is my room," i gestured her in and she took in the scenery.

"I can see why you wouldn't want to do anything except practice, your room is beautiful Carter," she was in awe and I could feel my face getting hot.

"But your mom is right, we do need to talk about this," she sat herself comfortable on my bed.

"Okay..." I mumbled and grabbed my piano stool to sit across from her.

She must've caught on that I still don't like being alone with her.. she really was upset that day..