Chaoter 35

Carter's pov

I feel weird waking up in the hospital bed. I'll just keep staring at the ceiling that has dead bugs stuck in the thingy behind the barrier.

Ew..

Fascinating, but ew.

I heard light snoring to my left and gentle breathing across from me.

I lifted my head ever so gently and all over again, I started crying; Eleanora and my mom didn't leave me..

I didn't want to wake them but the nurse has impeccable timing to come in the moment I woke up and wake everyone else up.

We all have puffy eyes from crying.

"Ms. Cammery, we have breakfast if you're willing to eat," she politely and gently spoke.

"No need," my mom yawns. "I brought her favorite cereal," she pulls out a box of fruity pebbles and- it's the blue box with marshmallows in them!

"I put almond milk in the hydro flask for you because I know how picky you can get with your brands," she chuckled.

"You seem to have a very loving mother, let me know if I can assist with you anything," the nurse nods with a bright smile to my mom and I felt pretty happy too- I get to eat cereal. I'd rather have mom's cooking but I'm pretty sure I can't eat anything too crazy.

Damn... mom's blueberry pancakes from scratch sound really good now.

"A bowl and a spoon? I'm sorry I didn't bring that," my mom softly giggled and the nurse smiled brightly.

"Nonsense, you're making my job easier. If anything, you should be the one calling the shots. I don't know your daughter and her needs but you do. I will respectfully deliver whatever it is I can help with," the nurse smiled as she exited.

"Goodmorning carter," my mom smiled warmly.

"Afternoon," I yawned.

"I know you're just waking up, but I have a few things to discuss with you," she softly spoke.

I didn't notice it at first but Eleanora is still hard asleep.. she probably didn't take any of this easy and a weight has been heaving my chest at the sight of her. She deserves to rest.

"Okay but... I don't wanna wake her," I agreed and my mom came over to cup my face with another smile knowing my feelings towards her are genuine.

"What's up?" I slowly tried sitting up and my mom propped a few pillows for me- I don't like feeling helpless but I have to set aside the ego.

There's no point in throwing a fit about receiving help when you very much need it.

"Just a couple- major, I think they're major- but they're important things. I got you a therapist because I know hearing things from me and Eleanora will be hard to get through to you but perhaps from someone else, it will be enough," she rested her hand on mine.

"I understand. I think it's best as well, though, that therapist will have a hard time with the likes of me. I want to play my instrument. But- can we afford a therapist right now? What about the lawyer, the divorce and-

"Carter, if it's one thing, your father may have been the man of the household but he damn sure wasn't the provider just because he's in the military. I have my family and connections as well as my resources of having a good paying job and the intelligence to reinvest assets over time," she looked at me seriously.

She can be protective and kind all at the same time but I have a tendency to forget that even though she projects those traits to someone else, she lacks to do so for herself. She's a workaholic at best.. she's not a millionaire but no doubt she's well off.