Chapter 24

Eleanora's POV

It was Sunday- a rather dull at that; the rehearsal room isn't singing with melodies as it normally would because Carter isn't here.

She's always here- early at that.

"It's odd without Carter isn't it?" Michelle strings me back into reality and my eyes fluttered.

"She is going to be here I hope," I looked for verification.

"Her or her parents would've said something in advance. Did something happen after the concert?" Michelle became concerned as we shared the same expression.

"I may be over analyzing it, but I'm sure she's just exhausted after her first concert," I tried to brush the feeling.

"I bet, so many people were buzzing about her and how well she did- I mean you were practically front row of how she performed," Michelle added.

"She was exceptional," I sighed as I sat my things down.

My head whipped around to the sound of our double doors being bursted open into the rehearsal room and a small group of well dressed kids in school uniforms entered.

"Excuse me for the entrance but I hear this where the great Carter Cammery resides in her musical Sunday afternoon studies and I haven't a minute to spare," a young man unbuttons his navy coat and adjusts his black turtle neck revealing his school's emblem on his left side of his shoulder as he slides his coat off and slips his watch into his navy blue dress pants.

"Yes, who's asking?" I crossed my arms at the highschool students and the boy steps forward with his shining leather shoes pointed.

"Me," he pulls back his short curls and looks up at me with a confident look.

"And for what do I owe the pleasure of you students?" I remained polite as Michelle starts checking in musicians and they start flooding in getting settled into their seats.

"You see, Carter and I go back. And-

A loud noise causes the room to go silent as I look up to only find Carter standing pale as ever.

It's like she's seen a ghost.

"Ah old friend!" The boy turns around from me with open arms to greet Carter.

She looks at me and back at him as if nothing is real- like she's forcing herself to wake up.. Carter turn around and ran out the room leaving her belongings on the floor.

"She's just surprised I'm here," he turns around and I was stopped from chasing after her.

Michelle gives me a nod as she goes after Carter leaving me to ease my thoughts and focus on our surprise guest.

"I'll be the judge of that, who are you exactly?" I was no longer nice with my tone. How dare these kids just drop in unannounced.

"I'm Raheem- the Raheem. I hadn't known there was a youth symphony here in New York until I heard about my peer's return in the music world just nights ago... in other words, I'm here to claim my right," the rich entitled snobbish bright finally came out.

"The name rings loud and clear," I finally took in the air of the atmosphere.

"Then you know why I'm here," his eyes were filled with a dark look and I couldn't help but worry that this is about Carter.

"No I don't, I'm sorry. I'm just the conductor," I said remaining neutral.

"As a conductor you'd be doing a great service of conducting my audition for the spot of being your pianist," he cockily smiles and pulls back his dark brown curls making the school girls almost fawn over him.

"You're more than welcome to audition next year, I already have a pianist," I tried to walk past him to get to Carter but he steps in front of me.

"Oh, but I'm a prodigy. I'll make great use of today's time and your time," he continues to press.

"No thank you," I attempted again but I stayed where I stood as my employer and headmaster enters the rehearsal room.

"What is going on?" I approached the both of them.

"The boy's family is one of our biggest donors. Please let him and Carter do an expedition. We're here as judges. This will only take a moment of rehearsal this afternoon," the headmaster informed me and I was at a loss of words.

"If you think an entitled rich kid is going to stop me from my work, you've lost your mind," I whispered into his ear.

"I understand your place, believe me I do; but the boy and his family is hell bent on this taking place today," he continues to let this take place.

I turn to look back at Raheem as he wanders Carter's piano wiping his finger against the body inspecting it for dust. He reaches for his folded coat to retrieve his handkerchief to wipe his hands and I rolled my eyes.

"Ms. Arturo, please. It'll be over soon. A light expedition is all," I was reassured.

"Please, like I believe a word you say. The boy just told me it's an audition for a seat that has already been claimed," I pointed my finger at my employers chest and he sighs in defeat.

"That may be so, but it- how does one say it? He's simply just trying to rehash the past. Surely his parents know we can't just give him that spot," he tries to calm me but my skin boiled.

"You better have faith that this is just a friendly expedition. My place here as an conductor just might be on the line. I'm here to create music and you're affairs are getting in the way," i hissed making them both regret this.

"Could you please just bring Carter out here and we can all go back to running things smoothly?" They pleaded and I scoffed.

"Smoothly my ass," i strode past them to look for Carter.