Chapter 17

Eleanora's POV

I was walking down the hallway to the sounds of constant laughter.

I softly smiled as I looked down at the gift bag I got Carter.. it wasn't much, my salary can only provide so much.

Who am I kidding, I live in a well sustained cottage in New York .

I just- I'm aware she doesn't think much of birthdays but hopefully my gift will be an exception.

"Afternoon Eleanora," Michelle greeted me as her laughter died down and I nodded pleasantly as Carter scurried off to the piano to  get herself acquainted.

"Not so fast Cammery, I want you front and center," I set down my belongings and quickly hid the gift bag behind me.

She's so adorable.

Curiously and hesitantly, she comes over towards me and Michelle.

Michelle had a mischievous smile as she noticed the gift behind me and Carter cautiously approached me as I asked- instructed.

I'm a conductor for a living, it's hard to realize when I'm asking or when I'm telling someone something.

"I know I memorized the music, but I'll be more productive with my time when I come in.. me and Ms. Michelle were just goofing off- sorry," she blushed a bright shade of pink as she was embarrassed.

"Carter, you make it impossible to not adore you, here. A gift from me," I carefully handed the gift bag in her hands and she held it by the handles and looked up at me with big eyes.

"Th-thank you," she looked like she was going to cry.

"Carter, you didn't even open it and you're getting ready for an encore," Michelle teased and Carter sniffled as she giggled.

"I just know it's going to be something great from Ms. Arturo," she smiled brightly.

"That's not all, go sit down and I'll give you the last of your presents," I pointed to my seat i set front of my music stand and she listened.

"Aren't you going to open it?" I had a curious smile forming on my lips.

"Not yet," Carter softly replied as she held onto to the present I gave her as if it's the only the thing she owns.

I turned back around to open my violin case and I picked up the polished aged wood out delicately and tuned it.

This is the first time I've taken note on Carter paying this closely attention to me and my violin. it made me feel somewhat nervous- rushed really was the word.

My body was buzzing with all sorts of excitement.

"As the birthday girl, you get a birthday song," i twirled around with my bow and violin in hand.

Carter's excitement made me excited wanting to see her reaction when I started playing.. just by the glimmer in her eye, she's sitting on the edge of her seat just wanting to hear more.

I didn't think much of anything except the idea that I'm playing happy birthday on the violin for Carter as a gift. It's not that big of a deal, but I just can't help to think that this is a big deal to her.

She loves music.

There was a moment of silence as Carter and Michelle were stunned.

Carter still remained silent as Michelle clapped...

Even though Carter didn't say or do anything, I could just look at her and see it all; her eyes sparkled and her mouth was slightly left open- she was star struck.

"...I wish every day was my birthday..." she softly spoke and I could feel my body tense.

"And here I thought you didn't think much of birthdays," I giggled as I carefully placed my violin back into my case.

"I didn't until you came along... I wish I could play like you," she was still mumbling on.

"Carter, you play better than me and you're younger than me with that much skill. As a professional, you should feel superior," I rested my hand on her shoulder.

She's so clueless to the potential she has. She just needs proper training in the art of classical music and she could go abroad to advance her education.

I doubt training her would take much work, but building repertoire is very much likely- but which classical composer does she connect to the most the tricky part... she's so unique, it's as if she's scaled herself on an entirely different genre.

"No. I wish I could play like you. Emotionally express your uncertainty through music. I've never witnessed that being done before," her eyes glowed innocently with curiosity and I flinched at her words...

"I don't know why you were unsure but I could tell just by the sound you produce yet- you were sure of whatever it was, was the correct response," Carter's observations made my pulse race.

Her ears..

Just her in general; the way she thinks, the way she perceives things just by the sound of music..

What she has isn't a gift anymore, it's a blessing. She can just listen and it's like she's reading someone's thoughts and emotions.

"I- wasn't sure how you'd feel about being bombarded with birthday gifts.." I admitted.

"Out of all the ones I received, I liked yours the most," she shyly smiled.

"You didn't even open the one right there in your hands," I giggled and she was still carefully holding it in her lap.

"I know... but hearing you play violin has been the best thing by far and it's even more special that you played it just for me," she assured me.

I wanted to say something- but I'm breathless as to how I should even respond.

The sound of other kids walking interrupted my thought process and I forgot today was even rehearsal day.. I looked back towards Carter but she wasn't in my chair anymore, she was sitting diligently at her piano with my gift next to her bench.

I really wanted to see what she thought of my gift..

~~~

AN: I finally caught a moment to breathe and update!

I have seating auditions two weeks from now and I'm excited to reflect off my next rehearsals to update the book more vividly! I'm glad so many of you are enjoying my current "not so existent" love life😭😭❤️