Chapter 32

Eleanora's pov

I was in the middle of conducting and-

The doors to the auditorium opened with none other than Carter standing there lost as ever and drawing all the attention as everyone whispers.

"She's actually late.."

"I mean- she didn't miss the entire rehearsal," another student whispered back and I tapped on my baton getting their attention.

"Ms. Cammery, unless you want have the heat leave this room, I suggest you close the door," I cleared my throat and went back to conducting our music.

"S-sorry I'm late," she mumbled as she walked past me and I used my free hand to grab her arm.

I could faintly hear her gasp and tense up.

"Stay after," I kindly instructed and she simply nodded....

~~~

"Why were you late today?" I stopped Carter from stacking the chairs.

"I-I don't know..." she mumbled off and my eyes quickly took note of how empty the auditorium is.

I cupped her face to force her to look at me and I kissed her lips gently.

"A little token of encouragement," I ran my thumb across the corner of her lips and I could feel her warm breath tremble against the tip of my finger.

"I- umm it's really not that big of a deal honestly speaking," she nervously regrouped herself.

"You're not one to show up late- let alone have a rough rehearsal. It's like you haven't been practicing la-

"I'm sorry," her voice cracked as she muttered snatching herself from me.

"Carter, what happened?" I hugged her from behind.

"It's my dad... he's been on edge for whatever- are you okay? You're squeezing," she tapped on my arm and I didn't realize I was practically straining her.

I gently pulled myself off from her and I stared out in space clouded with rage. But I remained calm of course.

"What were you and my dad talking about the night I stayed over?" She broke my concentration.

"I really shouldn't say..." my body started becoming hot knowing keeping her in the dark about this is the very thing that eats me up alive.

The doors opening echoed again making me and Carter take a step back from another to avoid judging eyes looking at close we stood to each other.

"Hi, Ms. Arturo," Melissa chirped and I heard Carter wince as she stared at the ground letting her bangs conceal her face.

"I want to apologize for Carter being tidy-

"What's going on at home that I should know about?" I disregarded the fluff and decided to go straight into it.

"Excuse me, I just don't think it's your place," Melissa maintained a respected tone but I remained to myself.

"It is my place to know what goes on with my students- especially when they've been neglecting their studies funded by the program," I kept my tone in check.