Veintidós

The kitchen stuff was allowed to come back to the kitchen when Sergio announced the end of morning meeting. Sergio and Fernando rose up from their seats in order to find a place more private to make a call to Lawrence Stroll. Propably they both will be speaking to the leader of the North to show their advantage from the start. Fernando might not be a powerful leader, nevertheless whenever he came to a room there was an atmosphere of respect around him. Carlos followed them as well to gain informations first-hand, but before he walked away he left a soft kiss at the top of Alessandra's head. There was so much meaning beyond that kiss which others couldn't see. It meant uunconditional love, respect and most of all protection. Alessandra smiled at this kind gesture, getting that warm, fuzzy feeling again in her stomach. Max didn't feel like accompanying them. He wished to wait for the news at the kitchen table rather than stick his nose in where it's not wanted. The Dutch already knew everything he needed about Alessandra, any juicy facts from her past were her personal business and weren't awaking his interest. Others agreed, claiming the less people knows about conversation that was suppose to happen the more safer it was for everybody else. Stroll wanted to punish Sergio, destroy the South. On the other hand, Lawrence would propably like to keep such meeting in private, because any try of making an agreement with the South would be seen as manifestation of weakness. "I wanted to apologise for what I said before," Max spoke up first when the three left the room. There weren't many people in the kitchen beside them. The kitchen stuff was shuffling in the background, but not in the way they weren't able to talk freely. "That was unfortunate." he chuckled nervously. "You don't have to be sorry," she waved her hand at it. The truth was that his words didn't hurt her, but Max impressed her with how easy it was for him to swallow his pride. "You were right. What I did was crazy, but I don't regret it," she said next. "Not everybody would do such thing, even for the person they deeply love,". Max noticed. "It's either mad love between you and Carlos or you have a serious death wish." Alessandra gnawed on her lower lip, wondering was she that easy to read? "You have a death wish." It was clear to Max from her reaction and silence. "It's not a death wish," she denied quickly. "I-..." Alessandra shook her hand, not knowing what more she could say or how to explain it. "Throughout my life I escaped death more than I should. There was always someone who would save me in the end, like Carlos did back in New York or I get lucky enough to have an empty gun pointed to my skull. It feels wrong, it feels as if I was cheating and somehow it caused problems." Max's eyebrows furrowed. "You mean situation with Stroll?" she nodded. "I think you're too hard on yourself. In this job, escaping death is a blessing," The Dutch admitted. "Besides, you have Carlos who would do everything for you," Alessandra smiled at this statement was true. "It might sound weird, but you should be proud of it. I was in your place not so long ago. I felt like I was cheating in much bigger game, then I understood I was just trying to survive. Everybody does it," Max shrugged. "You and me are survivors. That's a sign of strenght." To add to his words he made a fist out of his hand and squeezed it until his knuckles turned white.

"You and Sergio seem to be in a good relationship." Alessandra noticed after a moment of silence between them. It was needed to process what was said and make conclusions. "I consider him my friend," Max nodded. Sergio wasn't someone who show off his feelings towards fellow mobsters which was understandable, but when Max came to the rescue he slightly changed his approach. "He helped me a lot. Not only in business, also in private life." The Dutch confessed to Alessandra's surprise. "How?" Max laughed at her curiosity. In the same time he was enjoying honesty with her. He couldn't remember when was the last time he was so open about himself with a stranger. "My girlfriend lives in Brazil. Her name's Kelly. Unfortunately, crews' policy forbids me from travelling through territories that aren't mine. Thanks to Sergio I can visit Kelly without anybody's attention and she can travel to California as well." "I don't know what to say. It's so nice of him," Alessandra was truly speechless in this moment. She knew Sergio was a good man, but that was beyond being good. "I guess Sergio is completely different from leaders I've known." she added. "Maybe there's a bit of truth in what people say. That a leader should be someone who doesn't want to be one," Max wondered. "I was prepared for that role by my father since I learned how to read and speak. Lance is in similar situation and Webber..." He froze when that name went passed his lips. "Mark always wanted to be powerful without looking at the cost." Alessandra continued. "Exactly. Sergio never appeared on any list with names of potential candidates to replace Fernando. In the end, he became one, though I know he hates it." Alessandra nodded to show she agrees with him. She still couldn't believe how well Max knew The Mexican. They had to be very close friends or at least have unbreakable trust between each other. "Could we get some coffee, please?" Another voice sounded in the kitchen. It was very polite and belonged to the tall, handsome Frenchman from Max's crew. His name was Gasly if she remembered correctly. Second member of the West who followed him seemed familiar as well, but Alessandra didn't remember him introducing himself. "Guys!" The Dutch called for them and their heads shot in his direction immediately. "This is Alessandra. You remember her, right?" he asked, but sooner hell will get cold than Gasly will forget a beautiful woman like Alessandra. "Sure. It's hard to forget her." The Frenchman stated, approaching the table with seductive smile on his face. "You're on a thin ice, Gasly." His companion warned him, patting his shoulder. "Excuse them. They're morons, but loyal." Max cut in and Alessandra laughed a little. "Mr. Casanova here is Pierre Gasly and the Asian Tom Cruise over there is Alex Albon. They're my most trustworthy men." Alessandra shook hands with both of them and all four sat together at the table, drinking coffee and awaiting any news about Lawrence Stroll. The information came to them an hour or so later which was very long for an invitation. "Stroll will fly to Mexico City tomorrow. He won't be alone". Carlos announced, while entering the kitchen. Pierre and Alex were a little confused, but Max quickly explained the situation for them without any spicy details. Alessandra looked up at her lover and he brushed her cheek with his fingers. Somehow she was more afraid of the North at the moment than she ever was of Pastor Maldonado. She dealt with thugs all her life. Lawrence Stroll was so much more than that. She kept thinking about it throughout the rest of the day, pretending in the same time she's less stressed than she actually was. Her mind was trying restlessly to figure out a plan for the next twenty-four hours. She hated that feeling of not having all informations about the person in her hand. Back in New York she felt much safer knowing every little detail about people in the same room. That way she could prepare herself, create a certain pattern and character to end mission successfully. Knowledge was big part of her job, but now she had to prepare herself for the unknown in the shape of Lawrence Stroll from the North.