Dieciséis

As the mansion drowned in silence Sergio closed the door of his office and sat behind his desk. Everybody went to the garden, preparing last details for the ball that was happening this evening. His wife didn't need his assistance anymore, so he used the opportunity to work in quiet for a while to enjoy time with his family later. While he was filling blanks in documents he couldn't help but take a glimpse here and there on the files stashed in his drawer. Their content was gutting him for weeks and now Alessandra saw them too. Sergio hid them away from her to not ruin her happiness with Carlos, hoping in the same time that apart from him and few people in Canada no one will ever know about this. Unfortunately, the law was strong within two other crews and he could feel the pressure growing. The existence of those files meant that Sergio had to tear down the world Alessandra built for herself here and send her away. He was absolutely sure that she deserved to know the truth. On the other hand, neither she or Carlos would survive such separation.

As if someone in Canada could read his mind, the phone on his desk started to vibrate vigorously. Sergio's heart skipped a beat once he saw caller's ID on the screen. He swallowed hard, while pushing the green button and putting the device to his ear. "Mr. Stroll, how are you?". Sergio spoke up first as the etiquette of the crew dictated. "I'm fine. Thank you, Sergio. First of all, I want to wish the South all the best for the future on such sad anniversary for you". Lawrence's deep voice came to his ear from the other side. Some could see him as an arrogant and proud crew boss, but nothing could change the fact that this man had his own rules that ensured his success. Mr. Stroll with his son Lance were leading the North crew from Canada for years and nothing foreshadowed a change incoming. Since the East was brought down they earned their territory, including desired Louisiana, land once owned by French people. "Thank you, Mr. Stroll. The day is sad for us indeed, but like every year we try not to bewail". Lawrence didn't respond for that, but Sergio could imagine him nodding slowly at his words. "Is Fernando there with you?". He asked instead, propably from fondness towards old friend from work. "No. He chose to stay in Texas where he feels best". Sergio answered. "I understand. With Pastor out there it's better to stay put". The Mexican shook his head to himself as this was just a bunch of crap. "I'm sorry, Mr. Stroll, is there any other reason why you called me today?". Sergio forced the most polite tone of his voice as he could, so Lawrence didn't feel rushed. Mr. Stroll cleared his throat before speaking. "I'm curious when you'll take proper actions to restore order in your crew". Shivers ran down Sergio's spine as Lawrence's voice seemed colder than seconds ago. "I sent you files, photos and informations my son was able to collect. I hope I don't have to tell you what has to be done now, my friend". The Mexican gnawed on his lower lip as he thought carefully about his answer. He was torn apart between loyalty towards Alessandra and the law he swore to serve. "With all due respect I don't think sending Alessandra away is a good idea". Sergio could see Mr. Stroll shifting in his chair. "The law is the law. You can't discuss with it". Lawrence warned him. "I know the law by heart, trust me. But a lot of changed in rescent months. The East is gone and three persons won't change that. This is a difficult situation, so I'm asking you for consideration. Alessandra's home is in Mexico now. Taking that into account I wish she could make a choice on her own".

There was a long silence on the other side of the phone and Sergio almost believed that Lawrence has doubts, maybe even agree with him. "If you won't restore the order, I will be forced to notify the main council about it. You'll be judged as criminal in the court. You know I won't hesitate". Sergio snorted at his remark. "So with that I understand that the North will give back the territory of the East back to its rightful owners?". Mr. Stroll scoffed at his question. "Are you insane? So much land for three? No way! They can keep the mansion in New Orleans, but the land belongs now to the North". Mr. Stroll raised his voice on the other side as always when someone wanted to take his property away from him. "One way or another last members of the East will be under one crew's jurisdiction. What's the difference whose? Can't you see what a hypocrite you are right now?". Again a long silence followed Sergio's bold words. At some point he thought that maybe he went too far, but it was Lawrence Stroll he was speaking to. "Think about your family, Sergio. About your house. What will happen with your lovely wife and kids once you will be sentenced to death?". Lawrence's question was left hanging between the two of them. "I bet this girl isn't even worth it". Mr. Stroll added next. He was surely proud of himself in this moment and Sergio ran out from ammunition. The South has lost. "Thank you for your cooperation, Mr. Stroll". He said and ended the call. Sergio threw his phone away, burying his face in his hands. He knew this war was lost once he got those files. Carlos was already on his way back to Mexico, Alessandra was preparing for the ball. Everything suppose to be perfect tonight, but tomorrow... If Sergio refused to acknowledge what was about to happen, how they will react?