Veinte

A/N: This chapter is VERY long, but doing two parts from it seemed pointless. Hope you don't mind and enjoy!

WARNINGS: violence, injuries, blood

It was hard to tell how many hours or days have passed since Alessandra saw Carlos and Sergio. Due to Pastor hitting her with all the force he had, she was puzzled for a longer time than usual. She was locked up with Carola and the kids in the small bedroom which propably belonged to one of the South's mobsters. At some point of the day a Venezuelan would come with food, though Carola refused to eat until she'll be able to see her husband. Alessandra was later able to explain that Venezuelans feeding them was a good sign. It meant that Pastor didn't accomplish his goal. He needed them, that's why Alessandra was sure Carlos and Segio were still alive. Only then Carola agreed to finally start eating. It was a good example for the kids who were also stressed by this situation, but the most important thing was for Carola to be strong in case Pastor wanted her downstairs. Through the rest of the day they tried to keep Sergio Jr. and Carlota occupied, but it was hard without toys and going out. In the evening, when kids were slowly falling asleep Alessandra and Carola were lying in bed on the opposite sides, listening for any sounds that could inform them what was happening in the dining room. Whether it would be shots, a scream, sounds of South regaining their freedom, all of that was better than the silence which took over the mansion. In the darkness of the night there was absolutely nothing as if the South already became just a memory within these walls.

"Alessandra, wake up". Carola's hand shook her awake one morning. The Italian raised her head from the pillows to look towards Sergio's wife standing in front of the window. Her fingers were clenching around the material of curtains, her eyes wide open as if she saw a ghost. After few days of stagnation someone made the next move. "There's a new car under the mansion. The plates say it's from Austin, Texas". She whispered, turning her gaze towards Alessandra. "Fernando?". Carola nodded. "It has to be. Fernando is the only one from Austin who knows the exact location of the mansion". She looked again through a window. The black car was shinning in the sun as some Venezuelans approached it and surrounded it. "Besides, that's what Pastor wanted from the beginning". Carola added. There was a glimpse of hope in her voice which Alessandra didn't like. "He'll kill him, Carola. He shouldn't have come here". Alessandra reminded her and Carola seemed offended by her words. "How can you say that when Carlos sits downstairs with a gun pressed against his skull?". Carola asked her as if she didn't care about the love of her life. "I'm just saying that Fernando isn't a magical solution. He won't make Venezuelans fade away. Pastor will kill him and then he'll be able to get rid off everybody else". Carola shook her head. "You don't know Fernando like me and Sergio. This is all his fault". "Are you trying to tell me that Pastor is innocent?". "Of course not". Carola sighed, walking away from the window to sit on the edge of the bed next to Alessandra. "Fernando could clean up his mess years ago and then retire. Instead, he ran away and made Sergio the boss. He never asked if my husband wanted this, he just assumed". Alessandra thought about it for a moment. "I know there's a lot of regret between the three of you, but trust me Fernando sacrificing himself won't make you feel better. He made a lot of mistakes, I agree, but I couldn't let him die just like that. Carlos has been through a lot and Fernando is his hero". Carola nodded. "I understand, still I don't know if I want to forgive him". "You'll be wondering about it when this all ends". Alessandra promised her, feeling that with Fernando's arrival it won't take long before the winner of the war will be announced.

That time has come on the very same day, in the evening. Alessandra knew that someone came for her or Carola, or the kids, because they were given the food earlier. One of the Venezuelans boldly entered the room and his face was familiar, though Alessandra couldn't decide if she saw him in the dining room or on the road. Young Venezuelan informed them that Pastor wanted 'the Italian girl' downstairs and Alessandra felt somehow relieved. Carola didn't deserve to be there with Pastor, neither the children did. Alessandra already knew that enviroment. What's more, she wasn't scared. She was ready for everything, even for death. She escaped it so many times, but sooner or later it would eventually catch her. She followed the man out of the room and then all the way to the dining room on the ground floor. Once there, the man opened the door for her, while he was staying behind. Alessandra closed her eyes for a brief second to calm down and prepare herself for anything that will happen next. With her heart beating faster than usual she stepped into the dining room where she saw four men sitting at the table. Venezuelans that were here before left which meant that Pastor was feeling very confident. As Alessandra kept on walking towards the table four heads turned into her direction, different expressions blossoming on every one of them. Pastor was amused, Sergio confused, Carlos was furious that the enemy dared to bring here his woman again and Fernando... The former leader of the South was smiling, but it wasn't a smile of joy. It was that kind of smile a person would do when saying goodbye to his family before inevitable death. He already knew what's going to happen to him, yet still decided to come. The only thing Fernando couldn't predict was how Pastor will use her in all of this. "Alessandra". Pastor spoke her name out loud when she reached the line of chairs. "Why don't you sit next to your beloved?". He proposed. Alessandra didn't reply anything, but in the same time approached the empty chair next to Carlos. When she was about to sit down she noticed a piece of broken glass, lying on the seat. She swiftly caught it between her fingers, while taking her place and kept it. Everything could be useful in tight corner. "Are you okay?". Carlos leaned towards her, lowering his voice to a whisper. Pastor briefly returned to Fernando to continue their conversation. Or negotiations. "I'm fine". She shook her head. "How do you feel? Did you even leave this room?". Carlos shook his head as well. "No, but I'm okay. It could have been worse and most of the time I was just worried about you". His hand cupped her cheek, while gently brushing his thumb over purple bruise just under her eye. When Venezuelans threw her into one room with Carola she hit her face hard on the floor, but she didn't have a clue about the bruise. Now, when Carlos touched it she could feel a stinging pain under her right eye. "Look what he did to you, amore". His heart sank to the pit of his stomach, while his fingers travelled down to the marks Pastor's hands left on her neck. That moment was still vivid in his mind. When he watched Alessandra fighting for breath he felt like his own heart was about to explode. He never wanted to kill Maldonado as much as in those long seconds and then they just took her away from him. "Don't think about this. Bruises will fade away eventually". Alessandra spoke softly, stopping that loop of previous events he played in his head.