Quince

Alessandra stood at the top of three leveled stairs, thin blanket around her as she observed Carlos' suitcase being packed into the trunk of black car and The Spaniard himself was discussing last details with Sergio. She didn't want to come down to them for now, she didn't want to hear what they're talking about. She fell asleep earlier than usual and still didn't have strenght to do anything. It was as if last events drained her physically and mentally. After New York there was just an impression of emptiness in her chest, but now the vision of living through the same all over again was making her sick. When Carlos looked up at her and Sergio shove his phone to the pocket of his blouse Alessandra knew it was time to say goodbye. Carlos suppose to be gone for a week or so, though she felt like he was already gone. She slowly came down step by step and Carlos extended his arm for her. Alessandra let him embrace herself nevertheless her arms didn't wrap around him like they used to. Carlos felt a wave of cold, rushing through his body. He didn't know how to act when Alessandra was pushing him away. He hoped she just needed time and once he's back they'll work together on getting back to where they were. "It's only for a week". He assured her, breaking from this one-sided hug. "Do what you have to". She replied, avoiding his gaze. Carlos sighed, knowing he can't count for more. Before he got into the backseat of the car, he kissed Alessandra on the forehead one last time. "Don't mess around without me". She nodded. "Ciao, amore". Alessandra's heart suddenly skipped a beat. She gnawed on her lower lip as she saw Felipe driving him away to the airport and her eyes filled with tears. She wanted to chase the car and hug Carlos so tightly they would both suffocate. She felt Sergio's arm enveloping her from one side, so she buried her face into his shoulder. "Don't worry. Brazil was always a safe country for us. I wouldn't send him if it wasn't". The Mexican comforted her. "But I was so cold towards him. I should have apologised". She cried. "You'll do that when he comes back. And without that I'm sure he knows. Maybe you both need a little break after what happened recently". Sergio rubbed her arm reassuringly. "Let's go and have a cup of coffee in the kitchen. Shall we?". He proposed next, leading Alessandra to the main entrance. She gave him a grateful look as they walked inside. She often wondered how a man could be so caring and soft, while in the same be in the lead of the mob. But there was Sergio, saving the day as always.

The kitchen stuff was all over the place once they got there. It was relatibly early and breakfast for the crew was about to be served in couple of minutes. Sergio asked first maid he eyed for two cups of coffee and they sat together at the small table in the corner. "How are you?". Sergio folded his hand on table's surface and turned his head to her. "I'm so confused. One time I'm indifferent and minute later I want to cry in the corner. I've never felt like this before. It's weird". Alessandra shook her head. "Give yourself time. I'm sure you felt the same way many times, just the East's surroundings didn't let you explore it". Sergio tried to ease her harsh approach to herself. The very same moment one of the maids brought coffee to the table. She left the cups and quickly left them to continue their conversation. "You seem to know a lot about the East". She noticed as Sergio handed her the cup with hot drink. "I had a pleasure to spent there some time in my young years". He confessed, but from his expression Alessandra could tell he wasn't happy about it. "Fernando sent me to New York for an intership, at least I used to call it that". He said next, while looking at his cup between his hands. "I got to observe the crew from inside, gain experience, train and make some friendships that would help the South in the future. Apart from all those things I remember the East as a very cold place and I wanted to return to Mexico as soon as possible". Alessandra nodded. "Living with them was as if the sun stopped shining". She confessed, taking a sip of dark liquid. It was bitter, but in the good way that was shaking you up into reality. "Exactly. It's sad, because from your story I presume the East had good people in its ranks. People who wanted that sun back". Sergio smiled softly to her. "Indeed. I hope they rest in peace now". She spoke and took another sip. The Mexican went silent for a while, thinking hard about something. "If your brothers survived just like you did, would you leave the South to be with them?". Sergio asked out of the blue. "I don't know. I mean, I feel attached to the crew, to Carlos... But why you asking me this?". He parted his lips, though no words were spoke out loud. Shivers ran down Alessandra's spine as she had a feeling there was some unspoken secret between them. She remembered herself about files from New Orleans and he saw that in her eyes. He should be more careful, but now he planted the bad seed inside her head.