prologue

songs

Exile by Taylor Swift

"I think I've seen this film before
And I didn't like the ending
You're not my homeland anymore
So what am I defending now?
You were my town
Now I'm in exile, seein' you out
I think I've seen this film before"

Coney Island by Taylor Swift

"If I can't relate to you anymore
Then who am I related to?
And if this is the long haul
How'd we get here so soon?
Did I close my fist around something delicate?Did I shatter you?
And I'm sitting on a bench in Coney Island wondering where did my baby go?"

"If I can't relate to you anymoreThen who am I related to?And if this is the long haulHow'd we get here so soon?Did I close my fist around something delicate?Did I shatter you?And I'm sitting on a bench in Coney Island wondering where did my baby ...

Two years later

I

Your knuckles hit the punching bag once again, as your breathing gets heavier, and your heart beats faster. Screams can be heard from the outside of the tent, and a couple of helicopters flying nearby; noises you have become used to in the past few months.

When you arrived here, six months ago, you were aware of the look everyone kept giving to you. The one that comes way too naturally to hide, the one that shows up something painfully evident; you were not the kind of person who survive in here.

Everyone around you seemed big, and though, and experienced and strong. You, on the contrary, felt young and small, and overall, broken.

But the thing about being broken is that after the worst thing you imagine happens to you, there are not a lot of things that can hurt you, nor a lot of vulnerability inside of you.

So you acted recklessly, and sometimes stupidly brave, not because you were, but because you really felt you had nothing else to lose. Deep down, you expected that adrenaline would not only take the physical pain away but also the memories you could not let go inside of your mind.

"Hey, hey" Jeff, the man in charge, looks at you with a noticeable frown. "What did the bag do to you?"

You look at him, and when his eyes go down to your hands you realize there is a small cut on them. You clean the sweat out of your forehead, exhausted, and then take a bottle of water from the floor.

"Put some ointment in them," He says, and even though it sounds sweet, his voice and face make it seem like an order. "And hurry up, I want you in the main tent in ten minutes"

"Why?"

"There are some men from the investigate task force, i want you to meet them" He explains. "You have worked the most with the suspects, and the interrogations. With your profiles, and all of that..."