Chapter 14

You filled the others in on the situation at hand. "At least we can get the ship repaired," Echo commented.

"But that does not do us any good if we are still out of money," Hunter responded.

"Maybe a place will exchange your republic credits for imperial currency?" Omega suggested.

You smiled at her, "the only place to do that is at an imperial outpost, which we cannot go near." Her smile fell but you nudged her, "but good idea!" Her smile returned but she remained silent through the rest of the discussion.

"I have an idea," Tech suddenly burst out.

You all looked at him expectantly, "I may have acquired a certain artifact on Kaller that has strategic and monetary value," he hinted.

The other looked slightly confused but you knew exactly what he meant, "you completed that mission on Kaller didn't you, you have the darksaber?"

Tech nodded, "Hondo would not be able to pass up an artifact like that."

You nodded, "no he would not, it would be who he is willing to sell it to that worries me."

The others looked at you waiting for an answer, but you just shook your head, "I am going to get some air, get whatever you would like on Hondo's tab, there are rooms to stay in as well."

The others nodded and moved around the large room, Hunter caught up to you as you made it outside, "want to talk about it?"

You shook your head, "not really."

Hunter fell into step with you, "you can talk to me."

You nodded to him, "I know that, it's just the darksaber is the last connection to the jedi, now that I know we have it, it is hard to think of giving up."

Hunter nodded in understanding, "it does not have to be your last connection to the jedi-"

You interrupted, letting all your emotions out, "not to mention the terrible things that weapon could do in the wrong hands, how can I be irresponsible enough to give it to a man like Hondo?"

Hunter nodded but said nothing else. You found yourself back at the ship, you walked through the main hangar door and closed your eyes. Hunter waited behind you respectfully. You reached out and allowed your feelings to guide you to the saber, which Tech had stuffed behind several layers of metal in the hull of the ship.

You sat cross legged and twirled the saber in your hands, your finger hovering over the ignition switch. Hunter sat on the far end of the room, watching you. The more you felt the weight of the weapon in your hands, the more you realized the terrible things it was used for. This was not a symbol of protection like your saber was, this was a symbol of power and greed.

Your eyes flashed open, escaping the images of the past of the darksaber. You relaxed a moment in reality before attaching the saber on your belt and covering it with your cloak.

Hunter looked at you expectantly, "so?"

You shook your head, "I can not give this weapon to Hondo, but I do not plan on keeping it for myself either," you explained, "this weapon has been used for terrible things, it should be kept from anyone who could wield it with too much power."

Hunter nodded, "So what are you going to do with it?"

You smiled at him, "I would have given it to you, but your mutation gives you much power, a power that through the darksaber is too dangerous," you explained, "I am giving it to Tech, to hide and keep away from use."

He nodded in understanding and followed you back into the stronghold. You felt confident in your decision, but it still left the issue of how to pay Hondo for the supplies you need.