Chapter 17

"What's a slaver?" Omega asked curiously.

You looked down at her as she strained to see the hologram over the desk, "a slaver is someone who keeps another person against their will," you explained, "the republic outlawed slavery and shut the big traders down, although it looks as if the empire is not taking such a hands on approach."

"No, they are not," Cid added, "the guilds believe that the empire is actually providing financial support to many of the big name salvers and using them to locate people of their interests."

"Is the senate not still in place?" Hunter asked, "a room full of senators would never agree to such a thing."

"Of course the senate is still in place, bandana," Cid responded, "but the emperor and his goons don't have to report everything."

You rubbed your hand on your chin, "the emperor needs the senate to remain in control of all of the systems, but it is likely just a ceremonial position now, the senate has no say in the matter."

Cid nodded, "now are we done discussing politics and ready to hear the mission?"

You all nodded and Cid continued, "there are two prominent Twi'leks being held by the Zygerians on a nearby moon in the Ryloth system. The bounty came from their young daughter that has been involved with the freedom fighters."

"I know the freedom fighters," you responded, "Master Windu helped them reclaim Ryloth during the clone wars."

"Yes," Cid continued, "you're looking for Cham and Eleni Syndulla," she said, clicking a button and allowing the hologram to change showing faces of the bounty.

"Cham was the leader of the freedom fighters," you said studying his picture, "he was strong and cunning, how was he captured?"

Cid clicked off the hologram and tossed the disk to Tech, "that's above all of our pay grades," the trandosian replied, "coordinates and other details are on the holodisk, get moving."

-------------

After you had loaded up some of the supplies and weapons that Cid provided you, you were on your way to deep space before jumping to Ryloth.

You had a few hours in hyperspace before you reached the planet and you had just laid Omega down in your room, as she had fallen asleep on your lap.

Hunter was leaning against the wall just outside the door when you closed it quietly and sighed. "She's a brave girl," Hunter said, squeezing your shoulder.

You nodded, "she is, but I cannot help but think we are constantly leading her into danger. She is only a child and she is already on the run."

"She's picked it up pretty quickly," Hunter replied.

"I know," you said, looking out the viewing window of the ship, "but that is because of what she is, not her ability to live this life."

Hunter stood up straighter, "have you discovered what she is?"

You put a finger to your mouth to quiet him and moved into the common area, "yes, I asked Hondo for another favor."

Hunter looked at you suspiciously but nodded for you to continue. "He has eyes and ears everywhere, I knew he would be able to find the bounty information on Omega, so I had him look quietly," you explained, "I received his coded transmission about it this morning from Cid."

You took a breath before you continued, "it is worse than we imagined, Hunter."