Chapter 22 - Hunter's POV

Hunter heard the sirens going off and immediately ran to the opening in the mountain, but he got there too late as he saw the girls hitting the ground and the shaft closing.

"No!" He shouted running to the spot where the opening was and slamming his fist on the rock. He tried pulling a hitting on the rocks, but nothing would budge. Tears stung his eyes as he pounded into the rock with less and less force before sliding to his knees resting his forehead and arm against the rock.

Moments later the rest of the squad and the twi'leks were behind him trying to make sense of the image.

Omega and Hera sat clutching their knees to their chests, letting small sobs escape them. Cham and Eleni ran and knelt by Hera's side, wrapping her in an embrace. "What happened, little one?" Eleni whispered to the girls.

"Our friend was still in there," Omega said through her tears.

"Mama, she saved us," Hera choked out, "we were not going to make it, but she pushed us through the shaft."

Eleni sighed and wrapped both girls in a motherly hug, allowing them to cry on her shoulder. Cham stood next to them and looked up at the rest of clone force 99.

"Your general was still in there," Cham explained to them, "she saved the children."

Tech, Wrecker and Echo exchanged a sad glance before walking up to Hunter, who was still slumped against the rocks. "Hunter?" Echo said tentatively, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"She saved them, didn't she?" he choked out quietly.

Tech sighed and knelt down to look Hunter in the eyes, "was there ever any doubt of that?"

Hunter closed his eyes, silently letting the tears stream down his face as he clutched his head in his hands. Wrecker positioned his large body between Hunter and the twi'leks so that they could not see him.

After some time Eleni walked up to the group and Wrecker moved aside to let her kneel in front of Hunter. She placed a hand on his arm, "I am sorry for the loss of your friend, but I am very grateful she saved my daughter."

Hunter nodded through the tears, still unable to speak. A few moments later, Cham was at Eleni's side, "we have agreed to the promised price for our rescue, but I must return to my village to gather things," he explained, "can we meet you at the village in a few days?"

Hunter said nothing, so Tech stood up, "that is fine, I already have the coordinates."

Cham nodded, "you have my thanks." Cham turned around and gathered his people for the long march back to their homes.

Eleni stood up slowly, "if you trust us, we would be happy to take Omega with us for now," she offered, "her and Hera seem to get along quite well."

Tech nodded, "that would be very helpful, thank you."

Eleni nodded and turned to walk back to the others. She quickly explained to Omega what was happening and she led them along with the others. Soon all of the twi'leks were out of sight.

Tech, Wrecker and Echo sat down on the dirt around Hunter, who still had not moved. After a few moments it was Hunter who broke the silence, "I should not have let her stay in there alone."

Echo shook his head, "don't do that to yourself, Hunter," he replied, "there was no force in the galaxy that could have stopped her once she puts her mind to something."

Hunter threw his arms up in the air, angry tears now mixing with the sad ones, "I could have done something, I could have stayed with her, watched her back, something," he yelled, "but no, I ran and left her to die alone."

Wrecker spoke up next, "the general was never going to let you stay in there and you know it, no one could have convinced her to let you be in unnecessary danger."

"Wrecker is right," Tech added, pushing up his goggles, "she cared about you too much."

Hunter screamed out in frustration before the sad tears spilled over his eyes once more. He clenched his heart as it felt like someone had ripped it completely from his chest. He choked out sob after sob for hours.

The others gathered in a small group away from Hunter, who had refused to leave his spot on the rocks. Tech slaved over his datapad while Wrecker and Echo sat in solemn silence. "Hunter sure is taking this badly," Wrecker noted.

"Of course he is," Tech responded matter-of-factly.

"Well I am upset about the general too," Echo responded, "but none of us took it like this."

"That is to be expected," Tech responded, still not looking up, "it is different for Hunter."

Wrecker and Echo exchanged a confused look, "why is that?" Wrecker asked.

Tech finally looked up at the other two and gave them a serious look, "because he loves her."

----------------

Hunter sat in a mess of tears against the rock, hating himself for leaving her and hating himself for not being able to save her. A thousand thoughts and emotions flooded his fragile brain, but at the center of all of it was the love he felt for (Y/N).

"I am so sorry," he whispered into the rock, "I never got to tell you how much you meant to me."

More tears fell from his face as he whispered into the dirt, all the things he wished he could have said to (Y/N).

A few hours later, Hunter walked up to the small camp the others had made for the night. He shrugged off his gear and discarded it by the others. "Grab a couple shovels and some explosives," Hunter instructed.

"What is going on?" Wrecker asked.

Hunter straightened his shoulders and wiped his swollen red eyes, "we are going in after her, I will not leave her down there," he resolved before marching to the ship to grab some supplies.

"She deserves better than that," he whispered to himself as the others followed behind him.