Chapter 33

You had just arrived on Concordia two days later. After trying and failing to get some help, you realized you were all on your own. Rex had answered the call, only to explain to you that the information was gone, but that he would be there to help you with a load of spice that might satisfy the pikes, although you doubted it.

"Do you really think the pikes will accept the spice in place of the information?" Tech asked as he directed the ship to touch down in a small clearing on the moon.

"Not really," you responded. You anxiously twiddled with the fabric of your cloak.

"Then what's the plan?" Wrecker asked.

"I don't have one," you admitted.

Hunter could sense that you were nervous and he placed a hand on your shoulder, pulling you closer to him, "we will figure it all out," he said aloud, but you were sure it was only meant to reassure you.

"Well that is a lousy plan," a voice came. You turned and saw Cid waddle into the cockpit, "you go into with that kind of attitude we are all going to die."

Omega, who had been hiding underneath the control panel let out a squeak, then nervously crawled out from her hiding place. "We are all going to die?" she said scared.

You gave her a stern look, "I thought I told you to stay in the cargo bay to work on your droids?"

She shuffled her feet, "but I wanted to help."

You sighed and knelt down next to her, "we are going to be fine little one, and there is a role for you to play," you assured her, "but for now, please go back to the cargo bay."

She nodded and ran off. You stood up and turned to the others, "I am going to go meditate before the pikes arrive, keep the scanners running and alert me if anything shows up."

Without waiting for an answer you walked into your room and sat on the floor, closing your eyes and reaching out into the world around you.

After several minutes, the sound of footsteps pulled you back to reality. You opened one and saw that Hunter was standing in the corner of the room. You sighed and slumped your shoulders motioning for him to sit opposite you.

He crouched down and crossed his legs, "you want to tell me what is really bothering you?"

A small smile appeared on your face, "how could you tell?"

He reached into your lap and pulled out your hand, letting it rest in his, "I know you too well."

You tightened your grip on his hands, "I was thinking about what Shand and Bane said on Corelia, about Omega."

Hunter's smile faded, "what about it?"

"They are right," you said, "the people after her...the people after me, they will not stop until they have what they want." You took a deep breath, "if they are hunting me, I endanger her and we cannot protect her from everyone." You paused, choking on the words that you had not even spoken yet, "and I endanger you, and you can't protect me."

Hunter reached over and gripped either side of your face, bringing it closer to his, "stop, please, you cannot go off on your own," he said seriously but with love, "I can't do this without you."

You refused to look him in the eye, "Hunter, I don't want to walk away from you, but Omega is safer without me, and so are you."

He rested his forehead on yours, "please, don't do this...I need you."

You finally looked in his eyes, you leaned closer to him for a moment, lips inches apart...then suddenly there was a loud shout from the common area that scared you both.