Chapter 37

"It is time," you said to him sadly.

Hunter shook his head, "you are not leaving us," he said determined.

You nodded to him sadly, "you're right, I am not." He looked at you confused, but allowed you to continue, "Omega has to leave."

"Leave?" he asked.

You nodded and called Rex over to you, "I need you to do something for me," you said to him.

"Anything, General," he replied.

"Take Omega out of here, we will buy you some time and rush the anti-aircraft guns," you explained, "that should give you the cover you need to jump away before the star destroyer can lock onto you."

Rex cocked his head, "I have never abandoned a battle, or a general."

"You're not abandoning anyone," you replied, "you have a new mission." You sighed, "take Omega to Ahsoka Tano."

Rex looked at you confused for a moment, "I know she is alive and I know you can find her," you said, "She can train Omega, she will be safe with Ahsoka."

Rex wrestled with his thoughts for a moment, but then nodded. "Cid and I will give you guys some cover to say goodbye," he whispered, running back to battle.

You nodded in thanks and then called the rest of the batch over to you, including Omega. You looked at all of them sadly, "We are going to rush the anti-aircraft guns and give Rex some time to get the ship out of here," you explained, "we are going to march straight on, draw all of the attention to us."

The others nodded, but Omega spoke up, "what are my orders?"

You smiled at her, a small piece of your heart breaking, "Omega, you are going with Rex," you said softly, she opened her mouth to protest but you held up your hand to stop her, "he is taking you to a friend of mine to be trained and kept safe."

"I want to stay with you," she protested.

You shook your head, "I brought you all together to say goodbye, but you need to make it quick."

Tears flowed out of her eyes as she hugged each of the clones goodbye. "If we're going, it has to be now," Rex shouted from the front lines.

The rest of the batch jumped back into action to cover you, but you and Hunter still waited with Omega, "I do not want to go," she whispered lightly.

"I know, little one," you said, brushing some tears off her cheek, "but we will see each other again."

"Promise," she asked, looking up at you.

"Promise," you whispered, wrapping Omega in a tight hug.

"Hunter, we need some help out here," Echo's voice came over the commotion.

Hunter knelt down next to her, "see ya kid." Then he lightly touched your shoulder and ran off into battle.

Rex came over to you, "Cid and the girls are ready to board the ship when you rush out," Rex explained.

You nodded then pushed Omega's shoulders towards them, "go wait with them," you whispered.

She snuck one last glance at you and then walked over the where Cid, Rafa and Trace waited behind some crates.

Rex unloaded his belt and handed it to you, "these should give you some advantage in the ammunition departement," he said.

You took them and looped it around your shoulders, "thanks, Rex."

Rex took off his helmet for a second and smiled at you, "it was an honor to serve you, general," he said with a salute.

"I am not a general anymore, Rex," you giggled, saluting him back.

Rex nodded and put his helmet back on, "you will always be a general to me," he responded, "I will watch over the girl and make sure she is delivered to Commander Tano safely, I can send you a coded transmission once we have parted ways."

"That's ok," you replied, "I don't imagine we will make it out of this fight," you admitted sadly.

Rex shook his head, "if anyone could handle this it is this squad, and don't you want to find her when you live through it."

You placed a hand on his shoulder, "even if we make it, however unlikely, Omega is safer without us."

"So you are just letting her go?" Rex asked.

You smiled sadly, "I love Omega, but I endanger her, and it is because I love her that I am willing to watch her walk away."

Rex nodded in understanding, "I hope to see you again, general... sorry, (Y/N)."

"I hope so too, Rex," you said lightly, "in this life or the next."

You watched as Rex ran off to the others and got ready to board the ship. You made your way to the others, who were prepared for battle. "Awaiting orders, general," they all said in unison.

You smiled at each of them in turn, "it has been an honor to fight alongside each of you."

"Don't do that," Hunter interpreted, "it sounds like goodbye."

You nodded, "then let's get to battle, we can talk after."

"After," Echo added, nodding to his brother and you.

"Promise," Hunter responded, placing a hand on each of you.

"We'll regroup and hit Cid's Parlor, after," Tech added, crouching next to everyone, "to celebrate."

"And then we'll relax and party forever," Wrecker said, throwing a fist in the air.

"Forever," you finished with a smile.

You each looked at each other one last time, then let out a deep breath and screamed a battle cry so loud it brought all of the attention to you. The troopers all turned their attention to you and your squad as you ran out to meet them and charged the anti aircraft guns.

You got separated from the others but continued to push through the ranks with only one goal in mind - protect the others. You did not even have the time to turn and make sure that Rex and the others got to the ship, you just kept fighting, hoping you were buying them enough time.

----------------------------------------

Omega's POV

She watched the others charge into the oncoming troopers and wanted desperately to join them, but Rex had a tight grip on her hand and refused to let her out of his sight.

"They have all the attention," Cid said, pulling her goggles down.

"Then this is our chance," Rex said, quickly leading them onto the ship. "Rafa, Trace, get the engine started and prime the hyperdrive."

They nodded and ran off to the cockpit, "Cid, get on the turret, I am sure we will need it before we are out of here," Rex instructed, "Omega, make sure the shields are cycled."

She nodded and ran off to the control panel. She quickly recycled the shields and ran to the cockpit to meet with the others.

"Ready for take-off," Trace said, "strap in, it's going to be a bumpy exit."

Omega strapped herself into a seat, but was watching out the window of the cockpit. She could make out the figures of her squad fighting, but surrounded by hundreds of troopers.

"Shouldn't we help them?" She asked desperately.

Rafa placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, "they are sacrificing themselves to save your life, kid," she explained, "there is no greater love in the galaxy than that."

A tear slid down Omega's face as the ship lifted off, she watched until they were only specks and the ship took off into hyperspace - leaving her squad outnumbered and alone.