Chapter 23 - Hunter's POV

Hunter and the others placed explosives strategically around the collapsed mountain. While the other took a break under the shade of some trees, Hunter continued to shovel holes in the rock.

"Why is he doing this?" Echo whispered, "what does he expect to find?"

Wrecker shrugged his shoulders, but Tech responded, "I believe that he does not want to leave her spirit buried in the dark."

"But what does that mean?" Wrecker asked, confusion evident on his face.

Tech brushed a bead of sweat from his forehead, "according to my research it is tradition for jedu to be cremated so that their souls can ascend to the force beyond."

"Does Hunter really believe in that?" Echo asked.

Tech shook his head, "I don't think it matters to him, but it meant something to the general, which means Hunter will do anything to do right by her, even if she is gone."

Echo nodded and stood up, "then I will help him to do right by the general too." Tech and Wrecker both nodded and stood up, following Echo to continue to help Hunter.

-----------------

Hours later, the force had stood back to stare at the rock, wiping sweat from their brow. "Blow it, Wrecker," Hunter instructed.

"Yea!" Wrecker shouted, grabbing the detonator and happily pressing the button. The batch watched as a controlled explosion reduced the once solid rock to a pile of rubble.

Hunter nodded and grabbed a shovel, before beginning to shift through the broken debris. The other grabbed stakes and started to sift through as well, being careful not to move the staff too aggressively.

After what felt like hours of searching, they have found nothing. Until suddenly they heard Echo shout, "I found something!"

Hunter dropped his shovel and ran to Echo kneeling down in the rubble and moving rocks by hand. He gasped as he uncovered a smooth pale hand but continued to push aside the rocks until he completely uncovered (Y/N)'s body.

Wrecker helped him carry the body over to the grass away from the rubble. Hunter knelt next to you, brushing dust off your robes and listening for a breath.

He gripped your face desperately after he discovered you were not breathing. He look back at Tech, "help her, she is not breathing."

Tech pulled out his datapad and scanned your body, he shifted his goggles as the readings came back to him. Tech sighed sadly as he read the results, "Hunter," he said.

Hunter was still desperately trying to get you to breathe, "come one, Tech, what can we do?"

"Hunter," Tech said a little more loudly.

"Tell me what it said, we can still help her," Hunter continued, not taking his attention away from you.

"Hunter!" Tech shouted, gripping his shoulders and pulling him off of your body.

Hunter fought back for a few minutes, but Tech held him in a tight hold, that quickly became one of comfort and Hunter's tears streamed down his face.

"I am sorry, but there are no signs of life," Tech whispered, "there is nothing that can be done."

Hunter screamed in sadness as he wrestled himself from Tech's grasp and crawled to your lifeless body. He pulled you up and wrapped you in a small embrace, burying his head in your chest and hair as he cried.

Wrecker, Tech and Echo had retreated to the trees again to give Hunter some time alone. All three of them had tears stinging their eyes at the confirmed loss of the general.

Echo, who rested against a tree trunk, was the first to break the silence, "I knew in my heart that the general was not going to be alive when we found her, but seeing it, makes it all too real."

Wrecker nodded, "we fought with her for years and I always thought she was invincible."

Tech, who had removed his goggles to wipe his eyes, finally spoke, "No one is invincible, but if there ever was someone that could be, it would have been her."

The others reminisced about their memories with the general, as Hunter continued to cry over her body. His body wretched with cries of agony as he held onto your body.

"I am so sorry," he whispered into your hair, "I am so so sorry."

He let out a choked sob as he gripped you tightly, "I would give anything to see you again, even my own life to see your smile again."

He continued, "come back to me, please don't leave me," he whispered. He gripped you even tighter and buried his whole face in your chest, "there is so much I still have to tell you."